Insights on Charlotte? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Insights on Charlotte?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:54 pm

Other than "Lots of banking stuff," does anyone have any general thoughts on the legal atmosphere, the city itself, etc.?

YankeesFan

Silver

Re: Insights on Charlotte?

Post by YankeesFan » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:28 pm

I go to Wake Law and spent my last summer working for a mid-size firm in Charlotte and hope to return permanently. The city is a great place to live. Coming from NY it was WAY smaller then I was used to, but Uptown is clean and has plenty of bars/restaurants/venues to keep me happy. There are also amazingly cool neighborhoods like Plaza Midwood, NoDa, and Southpark that are outside downtown.

As for the legal atmosphere, almost every firm does some type of banking law. Whether it is foreclosure, bankruptcies, collections, bank transactions, lenders counsel; 9/10 mid-size or large firms handle bank business. However, there is plenty of corporate finance, M&A and commercial realty work to go around. The bar is affable and most of the lawyers seem competent since they are mostly T-14, Wake, Duke, UNC grads (although you do run into an occasional Charlotte grad and they haven proven to be difficult to work with).

PM me if you any specific questions.

Edit: Forgot to mention, most of the NASCAR work is handled by Charlotte/Mooresville firms so thats pretty cool if you into contract/sponsorship work.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”