PMF Transition to Attorney Position

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273603
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

PMF Transition to Attorney Position

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:29 am

I am a Presidential Management Fellow (PMF) and would like to transition to an attorney position. I was hoping to transition to a fed government attorney spot, but there's not much out there.

Do any former PMFs (or really anyone) have advice on transitioning to an attorney position either within or outside the government? Are there any particular strategies or selling points that I should focus on?

Any sort of advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273603
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: PMF Transition to Attorney Position

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:13 am

don't mean to hijack but quick q-- do you have any advice on the pmf application process?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273603
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: PMF Transition to Attorney Position

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:29 am

Anonymous User wrote:don't mean to hijack but quick q-- do you have any advice on the pmf application process?


I think the process has changed slightly since I applied, but my advice would be the following:

1) On-line assessment: Be honest and consistent. Don't try to game the system with the Situational Judgment Test, but make sure your answers are consistent throughout. I think the essay portion is now without a time restriction, but if the essay is timed, make sure you have an idea of what you will say going into the assessment.

2) In-Person interview: Prepare as much as possible for this portion. Have answers prepared to a variety of questions related to leadership, your qualifications, and situations that display why you would be a solid fit to be a PMF. I think this has also changed since I applied, and it's more of a group exercise, but I think preparing well thought out answers to a variety of questions will still be helpful.

3) Finalist status: A lot of people think that once you reach finalist status you'll get a job, but the conversion from finalist to fellow is only about 50%. Once you become a finalist you should be sending out resumes, cover letters, and emailing PMF coordinators as soon as possible. It also helps to have some fed government experience so that you will look more attractive to the gov agencies.

Hope that helps.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273603
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: PMF Transition to Attorney Position

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:don't mean to hijack but quick q-- do you have any advice on the pmf application process?


I think the process has changed slightly since I applied, but my advice would be the following:

1) On-line assessment: Be honest and consistent. Don't try to game the system with the Situational Judgment Test, but make sure your answers are consistent throughout. I think the essay portion is now without a time restriction, but if the essay is timed, make sure you have an idea of what you will say going into the assessment.

2) In-Person interview: Prepare as much as possible for this portion. Have answers prepared to a variety of questions related to leadership, your qualifications, and situations that display why you would be a solid fit to be a PMF. I think this has also changed since I applied, and it's more of a group exercise, but I think preparing well thought out answers to a variety of questions will still be helpful.

3) Finalist status: A lot of people think that once you reach finalist status you'll get a job, but the conversion from finalist to fellow is only about 50%. Once you become a finalist you should be sending out resumes, cover letters, and emailing PMF coordinators as soon as possible. It also helps to have some fed government experience so that you will look more attractive to the gov agencies.

Hope that helps.


Thanks! That's very helpful. Off to work on my application ...

Anonymous User
Posts: 273603
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: PMF Transition to Attorney Position

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:23 pm

OP here. No advice from anyone?

User avatar
Intraining
Posts: 128
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:58 pm

Re: PMF Transition to Attorney Position

Postby Intraining » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:50 pm

As someone that is applying PMF, I'd also like to know.

Probably, mass mail/cold contact would be the best avenue. What field are you looking into?

anonymcoffee
Posts: 188
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:31 pm

Re: PMF Transition to Attorney Position

Postby anonymcoffee » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:14 pm

you can PM me but i'm currently a PMF doing attorney work. From my current understanding (I'm class of 2013), it's about building connections and doing legal work. Find a PMF mentor that's an attorney doing the work you want to do - seek out attorneys in general counsel, do assignments for them, and when an opening comes up, basically be there with your application (they should trust your work and know you). For your rotation, try to go to an actual general counsel office - you can do that depending on your agency.

Also...be prepared to take a pay cut after the 2 year PMF b/c the attorney salary is based on your years of "legal work" and PMF isn't fully all legal.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273603
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: PMF Transition to Attorney Position

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:43 pm

For the online assessment, is there some type of preparation we should do?

How do we know if the essay section is timed and how can we prepare for it? Or is it something we should not prepare for?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273603
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: PMF Transition to Attorney Position

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:For the online assessment, is there some type of preparation we should do?

How do we know if the essay section is timed and how can we prepare for it? Or is it something we should not prepare for?


I have this same question. Anybody?

anonymcoffee
Posts: 188
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:31 pm

Re: PMF Transition to Attorney Position

Postby anonymcoffee » Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:57 pm

to those asking about the application process

talk to your school counselors or go to OPM PMF site and sign up for the alerts - they will (if they haven't already) an instruction sheet which will mention if things are timed or not.

you can't really prepare for this portion, just answer truthfully and hope for the best (if you've worked for the government, follow your instinct and remember from your internships). government is a whole different game so questions may seem easy to answer (very black and white) but they aren't. goodluck! basically memorize the instructions from OPM and the values they mention.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.