What happens?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

What happens?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:55 pm

So what happens to people who do shitlaw or doc review straight of of law school in terms of career prospects? Are they forever precluded from obtaining a lucrative position? I'm in the oci strike out boat. I am a transfer student at UT/UCLA/Vandy. I was top 5.5% at the third tier school I started at. I feel like I am pretty good at the whole law thing (albeit I dont think anyone knows until they actually start practice). I really don't want to drop out because I don't know what the hell else I will do with a political science degree, but I am not sure I want to practice law for 40k a year. It seems like there are less stressful ways to make that kind of money. My only motivation to do well this semester is a hope of getting a decent clerkship (my school has a good reputation for clerkships). If I do not do well this semester I might just cut my losses. People recommend that alot to others on this forum, but in reality its a hard thing to do when you have invested so much of yourself into this rat race.
Sorry for the blabbering, but seriously, what are the career prospects of one who does not land biglaw or mid law straight out of law school?

Scotusnerd

Re: What happens?

Postby Scotusnerd » Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:13 pm

If not a troll, get off your whiney ass and start looking for jobs. Grow up and hustle.

If you need further motivation, see, e.g. http://dearcoquette.com/post/15133480733/on-greatness-and-killing-your-ego

Gorki

Postby Gorki » Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So what happens to people who do shitlaw or doc review straight of of law school in terms of career prospects? Are they forever precluded from obtaining a lucrative position? I'm in the oci strike out boat. I am a transfer student at UT/UCLA/Vandy. I was top 5.5% at the third tier school I started at. I feel like I am pretty good at the whole law thing (albeit I dont think anyone knows until they actually start practice). I really don't want to drop out because I don't know what the hell else I will do with a political science degree, but I am not sure I want to practice law for 40k a year. It seems like there are less stressful ways to make that kind of money. My only motivation to do well this semester is a hope of getting a decent clerkship (my school has a good reputation for clerkships). If I do not do well this semester I might just cut my losses. People recommend that alot to others on this forum, but in reality its a hard thing to do when you have invested so much of yourself into this rat race.
Sorry for the blabbering, but seriously, what are the career prospects of one who does not land biglaw or mid law straight out of law school?

If you end up with SL or DocRev just deal with that and keep applying to different jerbs. Unless you have spousal/SO ties to an area really broaden your range of applications. The whole OCI or BUST mentality is, well, shit in the new economy.

Keep applying like mad, and yes you want to gun for clerkships. I am a 3L basically in the same situation as you, but I totally understand where you are at. I have never been more depressed in my life than this time last year. That said, it only gets worse if you have absolutely no jerb at all.

Apply to clerk with local firms or companies as a clerk, utilize the 20 hr/wk max and get some experience and get some legit references.

@ Poster above me: What was the point of your post?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:14 pm

To the poster above: Thanks for the insight and helpful comments. I really don't like to complain about these types of things as i know that there are others in far worse positions than myself. I just wrote that post in a state of almost desperation....it seems that every time I start regaining optimism, another new batch of rejections comes in the mail. But such is life, I just have to keep grinding. I am definitely going to expand the reach of my applications and attempt to get a clerk position this summer to, if nothing else, broaden my references.
To the second poster: I realize my post came off as somewhat whiny and I am all for continuing to hustle. The article posted seemed to condone a state of mediocrity. Thats not me, I may never reach my goal but I have to keep striving for greatness even if it is never attained.

JusticeJackson

Postby JusticeJackson » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:25 pm

Last edited by JusticeJackson on Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:28 pm

There are tons of opportunities for attorneys with 2-3 years of experience, at least here (Dallas). It's just getting that first job that's a bitch.

Scotusnerd

Postby Scotusnerd » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:To the poster above: Thanks for the insight and helpful comments. I really don't like to complain about these types of things as i know that there are others in far worse positions than myself. I just wrote that post in a state of almost desperation....it seems that every time I start regaining optimism, another new batch of rejections comes in the mail. But such is life, I just have to keep grinding. I am definitely going to expand the reach of my applications and attempt to get a clerk position this summer to, if nothing else, broaden my references.
To the second poster: I realize my post came off as somewhat whiny and I am all for continuing to hustle. The article posted seemed to condone a state of mediocrity. Thats not me, I may never reach my goal but I have to keep striving for greatness even if it is never attained.

Just to clarify, I don't mean to give up on your dreams. I apologize for being abrupt (it's been a long day). I wanted to point out that worrying about the situation is a waste of energy. Instead, focus that energy into making connections, either by volunteering or other methods. You have to stop taking this personally, and I know it's balls. Those rejections don't mean that you're not a good candidate at all, it just means that someone else came along that was slightly more attractive to them.

Keep plugging, man. You should try to switch gear to more local opportunities. Focus on a job that'll make you happy, not just one with a high paycheck. Those two are not necessarily synonymous (although they can be).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:36 pm

Sorry to hear you're having a rough time, and I'm not trying to be mean but you need to stand back and look at the big picture.

This is law, not babysitting 101. If you can't deal with working a less-than-your-dream-job job, how are you going to survive 14 hours a day of spreadsheets, getting yelled at, and taking the blame for a senior associate's mistake? The reality is there are more law students than jobs, and your qualifications does not convey "too good" for "shitlaw" jobs. There are currently HYS students without biglaw jobs. (And please don't be one of those people who assumes anyone from HYS without a biglaw job must be insane; I know several perfectly sane people from H & S who are still looking.) There are plenty of T14 people without any job. You considering yourself above "mediocrity" and "shitlaw" says a lot about your job-hunting attitude and respect for the legal field.

edit: oops, did not mean to use anon posting

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:46 pm

the bottomline is that you need to keep looking for jobs and until you get something there shouldn't be a concern yet of its relative prestige or quality. accumulate offers, any and all offers, then evaluate.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:56 pm

OP here
The original question was directed at whether there were viable opportunities for those with lower paying jobs to move up. The other text was largely just personal musings about whether I wanted to practice law for a certain amount of money. This has nothing to do with my respect for the legal profession its just a judgment call. In no way did I ever indicate I deserved a high or even medium paying job, because I understand that my qualifications do not yet demonstrate that. This was conceding in the initial post when I implied I most likely would not be obtaining one of those types of jobs.

guano

Postby guano » Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:47 am

Anonymous User wrote:So what happens to people who do shitlaw or doc review straight of of law school in terms of career prospects? Are they forever precluded from obtaining a lucrative position? I'm in the oci strike out boat. I am a transfer student at UT/UCLA/Vandy. I was top 5.5% at the third tier school I started at. I feel like I am pretty good at the whole law thing (albeit I dont think anyone knows until they actually start practice). I really don't want to drop out because I don't know what the hell else I will do with a political science degree, but I am not sure I want to practice law for 40k a year. It seems like there are less stressful ways to make that kind of money. My only motivation to do well this semester is a hope of getting a decent clerkship (my school has a good reputation for clerkships). If I do not do well this semester I might just cut my losses. People recommend that alot to others on this forum, but in reality its a hard thing to do when you have invested so much of yourself into this rat race.

Met one recently whose now (less than 10 years after graduation) a partner at a V100

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:52 am

You're a 2L? In other words, you struck out at OCI and are now in the same position as the majority of people at both your current and former school? As in, you have another two years to go out and find meaningful employment, and then turn that into a positive, fulfilling career?

JFC dude, cut it out with the self-pity and start hustling.

Return to “Legal Employment”