Urgent: In-house or nonprofit?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Nonprofit or Inhouse

Environmental Litigation
83%
Inhouse
17%

Total votes: 6

Anonymous User

Urgent: In-house or nonprofit?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:47 am

So, interested in litigation. My ideal track is biglaw for 5 or so years, and then nonprofit litigation. Am still interviewing biglaw; but right now I have an opportunity in-house (not-lit focused) and nonprofit in the field I ultimately want (I'd love to be working there 10 years from now). Pay inhouse is better than what I'd get at the nonprofit, but not overwhelmingly so. Neither gives offers reliably.

My main concern is that starting at the nonprofit would make getting hired anywhere outside of that field even more difficult. I need to decide whether to decline in-house ASAP. Please don't quote.

Law Sauce

Re: Urgent: In-house or nonprofit?

Postby Law Sauce » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:52 am

I'd go wherever you think that you will best develop the skills that you eventually want to have for your career. Sounds like that would be the nonprofit.

As far as getting trapped in the field, if you are developing general litigation skills, they should be transferable.

Going in-house in non-litigation doesn't seem to make much sense for your goals.

Return to “Legal Employment”