Govt. Shutdown and Phone Interview with Fed Agency

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Govt. Shutdown and Phone Interview with Fed Agency

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:03 am

I have a phone interview with a federal agency on Friday. Should I email the recruiting attorney and ask if it's still a go?

mr. wednesday

Re: Govt. Shutdown and Phone Interview with Fed Agency

Postby mr. wednesday » Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:07 am

It's a phone interview so you aren't traveling/needing to prepare your schedule days in advance. Wait until Thursday to call, because maybe things will be resolved by then. Also, not every attorney is furloughed anyway.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:11 am

Anonymous User wrote:I have a phone interview with a federal agency on Friday. Should I email the recruiting attorney and ask if it's still a go?

The government just shut down. You really think the recruiting attorney is going to be checking and responding to email?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:17 am

thesealocust wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I have a phone interview with a federal agency on Friday. Should I email the recruiting attorney and ask if it's still a go?

The government just shut down. You really think the recruiting attorney is going to be checking and responding to email?

Where I work, 90% of the attorneys are going to work like normal.

LeDique

Postby LeDique » Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:35 am

It depends. We were told the attorneys had to turn in their blackberries, and should not check work e-mail or voicemail.

presh

Postby presh » Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:37 am

LeDique wrote:It depends. We were told the attorneys had to turn in their blackberries, and should not check work e-mail or voicemail.

Same for my agency.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:10 am

thesealocust wrote:

OP here. Well what do I do? Wait it out and hope that they'll contact me through email/phone when this whole thing blows over?

haus

Postby haus » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:45 am

Anonymous User wrote:
thesealocust wrote:

OP here. Well what do I do? Wait it out and hope that they'll contact me through email/phone when this whole thing blows over?

Not much you can do but wait. Either your interview will take pace or it will not (likely not). If it does not, there is a very good chance that it will be rescheduled once things get restarted.

Keep in mind, while this is an inconvenience for you, it is a much bigger deal for them.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:44 am

Anonymous User wrote:
thesealocust wrote:

I think that's pretty much what you have to do. They're not going to forget about doing interviews or anything like that, but stuff may have to get pushed back. (If it's an agency that does work involving public safety, like criminal or border stuff, it may well be unpaid-work as usual - although they still might push back interviews till this is over; if it's more civil kind of work, they're probably furloughed.)

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:59 am

There's a 100% chance that if the government is still shut down as of your interview time, your interview is canceled. Even the secret service put its trainees on furlough. Open question, as discussed above, as to whether you'll find out that fact in advance - couldn't hurt to email them, but I wouldn't expect much at this juncture.

mr. wednesday

Postby mr. wednesday » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:30 am

My agency's law department is staying open and everything that doesn't depend on coordinating with another agency is moving forward as scheduled. So I would still prepare to have the interview but just be aware it might be post-posted.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:56 pm

I apologize for posting here, figured not worth opening a new thread and it is somewhat related to OP's question... Anyway, do we have any idea how the gov. shutdown will affect response times for gov. jobs. Will there be a delay or business as usual.

presh

Postby presh » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I apologize for posting here, figured not worth opening a new thread and it is somewhat related to OP's question... Anyway, do we have any idea how the gov. shutdown will affect response times for gov. jobs. Will there be a delay or business as usual.

This will depend on your agency, but expect delays. Agencies affected by the furloughs have skeleton crews - think only the highest level execs - actually in the offices. At my office only the Area Counsel and Managing Counsel will be in the office for the duration.

Return to “Legal Employment”