Worried I pigeonholed myself in an interview

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Worried I pigeonholed myself in an interview

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:10 pm

I interviewed several weeks ago with a local mid-law firm well know for a certain practice area. I know I was still under consideration as of last week (references), but I have reason to believe I may have tied myself too specifically to a narrow area of practice, such that I would only receive an offer if they forecast a need in that specific practice.

I am far more flexible than that in reality and would be pleased to explore work in many areas. I was planning to send a follow up letter to check in on the status of my application. Is there anything I can say to improve my odds and un-"pigeonhole" myself?

Btw, top 5% at T30.

Anonymous User

Re: Worried I pigeonholed myself in an interview

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:45 pm

I feel like you could send a follow-up email saying something like "Thank you for the again for taking the time to interview me. I just wanted to follow up and reiterate my interest in your firm. As I mentioned in my interview, my primary interest is XXXX, but I also have a more general interest in this practice area as a whole."

I have no experience in sending a follow-up email so long after the interview, but if you want to send one, that's how I would word it.

Anonymous User

Re: Worried I pigeonholed myself in an interview

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:06 am

Ok. I crafted a short message I think both conveys my continued interest in the firm and that I am open to a broad range of practices.

Typically, who would one send a follow up email to? The recruiting coordinator? Previous interviewer? Chair of the hiring committee?

Return to “Legal Employment”