Pros & Cons of Secondment Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Pros & Cons of Secondment

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:02 am

Friend was offered a 6-month secondment at a F500 (major client of the firm). I'm just curious if there's general wisdom as to the advantages and disadvantages of being seconded--is it something to strive for? Does it limit you advancement within the firm? Does it often lead to a full-time in house job?

Anonymous User

Re: Pros & Cons of Secondment

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:29 am

Interested in this as well. I heard mixed things at the firm where I summered: some thought it was an opportunity to build a relationship with a client which could help with advancement within the firm, while others thought it was a gentle off-ramp and an indication that you weren't on track for partnership. The major disadvantage of secondment is that you're not building skills relevant to your practice, so you might find yourself behind other people in your class in some respects. It's a great deal otherwise: big firm pay for in-house hours.

Anonymous User

Re: Pros & Cons of Secondment

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:43 pm

A friend of mine working for a V5 in NYC did a secundment that lasted about 8 months with a large investment bank during his 2nd year. Based on my discussion with him, it sounds OT me like it will depend a lot on the firm. A lot of his colleagues have also been seconded at one point or another, so the expectation seems to be that it's just part of the professional development process:learning the client business, building contacts and rapport, etc., so the professional disadvantages were small to nonexistent (he did also stay in touch with the partner overseeing his secundment, so there's that to consider).

I would recommend to your friend that he find someone else who seconded in the past few years to talk to about the experience, to get a feel for how the specific firm handles it.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”