SA background checks and suicide attempts

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

SA background checks and suicide attempts

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:34 pm

I was hoping that someone might be able to tell me what law firms’ background checks for SAs entail. Does anyone know if something like a suicide attempt several years ago for which the police were called, and an ensuing involuntary psychiatric hold, will pose a problem if the only diagnosis was depression, and this has been dealt with? I can’t imagine I’m the first law school student who’s had this happen, but I spoke to someone at my school’s OCS, and he told me he had no idea whether it will be a problem. I am getting increasingly apprehensive about this, and I’d appreciate it if anyone who's been in a similar position can tell me if this is going to be an issue. (I realize I'll have to disclose this to the bar, and I have no problem doing that; I'm just concerned that if this information comes to light, this may cause my firm to withdraw its SA offer.)

3|ink

Re: SA background checks and suicide attempts

Postby 3|ink » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:50 pm

On the off chance this is for real, I'd say you're worrying over nothing.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:57 pm

Based on a few of my friends who had similar concerns that were later alleviated, it will not be a problem.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Based on a few of my friends who had similar concerns that were later alleviated, it will not be a problem.

OP here. Thank you.

Return to “Legal Employment”