Another CF Speeding Ticket Question

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Another CF Speeding Ticket Question

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:59 am

NY bar.

20-24 mph over. In jurisdiction (NJ) it appears to be just a violation, not a misdemeanor (but please correct me if you know better). Incurred as a 3L. First ticket ever.

Disclose? Consult CF atty? Could this hurt admission, or no big deal?

I note from Google that it seems since I received it in another state, I won't even get points on my license (and it may not even go on my record). But just worried given proximity to bar.

If I do disclose, to whom? School? Just the bar? My firm?

kalvano

Re: Another CF Speeding Ticket Question

Postby kalvano » Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:10 am

No one cares. I'd call your state bar and ask if you need to do anything with it. I forgot something in my application, and the lady at the state bar just had me email her a quick summary of it. No big deal.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:01 pm

I can't see why this would matter in the slightest. I got a speeding ticket the spring of my 3L year and no one said a thing about it. I would think you should disclose it to the bar (presuming you've already applied, so you're wondering if you should amend? and the application asks for speeding tickets? if you haven't already applied, obviously you would just disclose it along with everything else when you do apply, but if you have, you can contact them to amend). But there's no reason at all to tell your school (they only cared when they were deciding whether to admit you) or future employer (they'll only care if you pass the bar or not, they can't possibly care whether you've got a speeding ticket). One speeding ticket is nothing.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:36 pm

Just paranoia, sorry. I'm in 3L Fall. Was just wondering whether I had to do anything now. I'll just wait and disclose it if the bar asks. Thanks.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:16 pm

My officemate had an almost identical experience (speeding ticket in neighboring state, admission to NY bar), you just need to disclose it and then pull your NY state driving history abstract to attach to the application (they didn't ask him for it on the application but followed-up with him and asked him to pull it so you might as well give it to them from the beginning). That's basically it, it shouldn't hold up your application in the least. Definitely no need to get a C&F attorney involved.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:My officemate had an almost identical experience (speeding ticket in neighboring state, admission to NY bar), you just need to disclose it and then pull your NY state driving history abstract to attach to the application (they didn't ask him for it on the application but followed-up with him and asked him to pull it so you might as well give it to them from the beginning). That's basically it, it shouldn't hold up your application in the least. Definitely no need to get a C&F attorney involved.

Very helpful. Seems you can even order it online and avoid the dmv trip. Thanks.

Return to “Legal Employment”