OCI Bust at GULC

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
zan895

OCI Bust at GULC

Postby zan895 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:19 pm

I transferred to Georgetown this year from New York Law School with the hope of landing a job through Georgetown's OCI program. OCI was a total bust. Even with my 3.91 gpa from NYLS, legal work experience and federal judicial internship, I did not receive any callbacks. I've done some mass mailing, but that seems like a total crapshoot. Does anyone have any good advice for me, other than drop out now? In the interviews that I have had, the interviewers see that I transferred from NYLS, and act like I'm too stupid to work at their law firm. Also, is there a list of New York firms that I can mass mail? Is big law out of the picture? I appreciate your input.

Ruffian Wizard

Re: OCI Bust at GULC

Postby Ruffian Wizard » Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:44 pm

NYLS puts people with similar numbers into BigLaw and fed government every year, and grade/school elitism is generally a pre-screener problem. Reach out to OCS and work on your interviewing.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:45 pm

You need to be mass mailing every firm in every market you would conceivably work and you need to do it yesterday.

Use NALP to find large firms: http://www.nalpdirectory.com/
Use Resume Launchpad to find smaller firms: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=178520

To be brutally honest, big law is unlikely but it was fairly unlikely prior to you going through OCI (being a transfer at GULC is just okay, and having NYLS as your 1L school can definitely hurt even with your high grades).

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:48 pm

Ruffian Wizard wrote:NYLS puts people with similar numbers into BigLaw and fed government every year, and grade/school elitism is generally a pre-screener problem. Reach out to OCS and work on your interviewing.

Considering that GULC is lottery, "grade/school elitism" can be definitely be a problem at the screener stage.

lgleye

Postby lgleye » Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:36 pm

Return to “Legal Employment”