How long to work in unpaid BigLaw abroad and what's next?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
chamele0n

How long to work in unpaid BigLaw abroad and what's next?

Postby chamele0n » Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:09 pm

I got a internship offer in a BigLaw Asian office that unfortunately did not offer me any pay. I went to a T3 school but have not had other internships. My end goal is to work at Goldman Sachs or get as close to M&A investment banking as possible career-wise.

1. Supposing I can afford to live without a salary, how long should I intern there for free? After how many months/years can I expect to get hired at another BigLaw salaried? I don't speak any Asian languages but I do speak French and Russian.

2. Will future employers view negatively the fact that I was in a third-world country or will they think it doesn't matter as long as I was with BigLaw anywhere in the world? Would working in Moscow be more prestigious for my resume?

Any other advice? Thanks
Last edited by chamele0n on Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kwais

Re: How long to work in unpaid BigLaw abroad and what's next?

Postby kwais » Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:42 pm

I think you are pretty much set up to land a I-banking job. They probably want to see one more year of prestigious time off for personal interests. That stuff is basically a pipline to Goldman. It doesn't matter that your biglaw job is unpaid. What matters is that you find your foreign bride who will be your arm candy at the party Goldman will throw for you when you accept your offer. So, just sit back and wait for the phone to ring. You are golden.

AntipodeanPhil

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:58 pm

chamele0n wrote:I got a internship offer in a BigLaw Asian office that unfortunately did not offer me any pay. I went to a T3 school but have not had other internships. My end goal is to work at Goldman Sachs or get as close to M&A investment banking as possible career-wise.

1. Supposing I can afford to live without a salary, how long should I intern there for free? After how many months/years can I expect to get hired at another BigLaw salaried? I don't speak any Asian languages but I do speak French and Russian.

2. Will future employers view negatively the fact that I was in a third-world country or will they think it doesn't matter as long as I was with BigLaw anywhere in the world? Would working in Moscow be more prestigious for my resume?

We need more information. Tier 3 law school --> unpaid Cambodian biglaw internship --> Goldman Sachs is a common career path, but I don't think the same is true for Thailand, for example.

I would intern there for no more than 6 months. That should be long enough to find an Asian bride. Try to find one that's not too close to her family -- it'll be better in the long run.

chamele0n

Postby chamele0n » Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:16 pm

any other comments other than from frustrated forum resident losers with 1000+ comments that probably still don't have a decent job offer? lol

Get lives guys, life is not about having an account with 1000s of comments, learn to meet and talk to people for a change, your life might improve a little. I'm glad I'm not in law school anymore where I have to see neurotic whackos like you trying to trample everyone else to get a grade a little higher than your classmates just because you are too dumb to have any other prospects in life. Pathetic.

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:52 pm

Last edited by hoos89 on Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:43 am, edited 3 times in total.

AntipodeanPhil

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:54 pm

I'd assumed this was a flame, but flames don't usually get so angry.

In case this is a serious thread: we do need more information.

I spent a summer working at a law firm in Asia, and my impression - talking to US associates working there - was that the longer you spend outside of America, the more difficult it gets to return. The general problem is that you have to learn the local law to be effective in the foreign country, but that's of little to no use back in the US. So you'll be disadvantaged vis-a-vis people who have remained in America and built up an expertise in US law. Still, I don't know if that's country-specific.

Also, the received wisdom here is that it is almost impossible to move from big law to investment banking - even if you could get big law in the US from this. You could wok in house for an investment bank, but that's still on the legal side. Maybe you could work overseas for a bit, save some money, and then come back for an MBA?

Pokemon

Postby Pokemon » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:03 pm

Go to Moscow if you speak Russian and can get unpaid or paid jerb there.

As to the haters, OP will make it big. He is probably loaded, and has time on his side. After college tons of my friends just moved to NYC or other such places, interned for years, and finally ended up getting prestigious jerbs. They are doing pretty well today. One of them is almost big in his field after going for a year unemployed.
The problem is that 99% of the people cannot afford to go interning for years...

Return to “Legal Employment”