Too late for a second look?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Too late for a second look?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:01 pm

I have an offer from a firm in a city I will be in in the upcoming weeks. I had my CB more than a month ago and don't really remember the firm. I am 90% I am going to take the offer but I asked after the offer for a second look and they are in process of setting it up. My worry is that it is only 5 days before the offer expires. Would it look odd too accept foregoing the second look or accepting and going in anyway? I also have a nagging feeling the offer is somehow going to go away before 28 days and I don't want to cut it close. Maybe I'm just being a neurotic law student...

AntipodeanPhil

Re: Too late for a second look?

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:33 pm

There's not going to retract the offer - don't worry about that. Sure, one firm has done that very publicly this year, but the odds of that happening to you are vanishingly small - especially if they're going to the expense and trouble of setting up a second look.

I would absolutely go on the second look. If you're confident that you're going to accept, tell them in person at the end of the second look. They'll like that - they'll feel like they accomplished something.

I was in a similar situation a few weeks ago and didn't do the second look, and I'm already starting to regret it. I'm confident it wouldn't have altered my decision to accept, but I would've liked to have got to know a few more people at the firm before the big wait.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:40 pm

AntipodeanPhil wrote:There's not going to retract the offer - don't worry about that. Sure, one firm has done that very publicly this year, but the odds of that happening to you are vanishingly small - especially if they're going to the expense and trouble of setting up a second look.

I would absolutely go on the second look. If you're confident that you're going to accept, tell them in person at the end of the second look. They'll like that - they'll feel like they accomplished something.

I was in a similar situation a few weeks ago and didn't do the second look, and I'm already starting to regret it. I'm confident it wouldn't have altered my decision to accept, but I would've liked to have got to know a few more people at the firm before the big wait.

Yeah the Kasowitz situation has me worried although the firm is not in NYC and there is no expense for them as I told them I would be there and asked to stop by

I am speaking to a few alums at the firm next week...if I like what I hear would they find it weird if I accepted before the second look, after I made them go through the trouble of setting something up?

AntipodeanPhil

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Yeah the Kasowitz situation has me worried although the firm is not in NYC and there is no expense for them as I told them I would be there and asked to stop by

I am speaking to a few alums at the firm next week...if I like what I hear would they find it weird if I accepted before the second look, after I made them go through the trouble of setting something up?

I don't think they'll find it weird. If I was them, I'd just assume that your other CBs didn't work out. I don't think you should worry about what they'll find weird, though - you should think about what's best for you. The partners and associates are likely very busy people, and won't think twice about it when recruiting tells them the meeting is cancelled (assuming they're even told). Certainly, no one is going to remember any of this next summer.

But Kasowitz was a weird anomaly. Your chance of getting Kasowitzed is so slim it might as well be non-existent.

Return to “Legal Employment”