Advice after CB when you're clearly on hold?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273492
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Advice after CB when you're clearly on hold?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:41 pm

Most of the people who have been offered from X firm so far have received their offers within a week after their callback. A friendly email from the recruiter let me know my candidacy is still being considered and I should know within the next two weeks (it has been almost two weeks since my CB). Is there anything I can do in the meantime to increase my chances other than to just hope and pray the firm receives a low yield from their initial offers? Any advice is appreciated.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273492
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Advice after CB when you're clearly on hold?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:23 am

I was in this situation. You should try to remain patient, and if they gave you a set period of time to wait, then you need to wait at least that long before potentially reaching out. The fact that you are sil under consideration is a good thing. FWIW, I ended up getting an offer after a number of weeks. It is pretty much out of your control at this point.

That said, if multiple weeks go by with radio silence, a quck email checking on your status couldn't hurt. I would just at least wait as long as they said. And congrats on getting this far in the process! Only a bit more to go.

Myself
Posts: 1372
Joined: Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:36 pm

.

Postby Myself » Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:01 am

.
Last edited by Myself on Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273492
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Advice after CB when you're clearly on hold?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:52 pm

I had a CB last Thurs and last Fri. Both firms indicated id hear by next weekend. No word yet. I'm assuming I'm in this hold situation?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273492
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Advice after CB when you're clearly on hold?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:38 am

I was given a very specific day that the hiring committee would be meeting and that was a week ago.

Am I waiting for the ding? Am I on hold?

Is it worth it to follow up since they were so specific?

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18422
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Advice after CB when you're clearly on hold?

Postby bk1 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:18 am

Anonymous User wrote:I was given a very specific day that the hiring committee would be meeting and that was a week ago.

Am I waiting for the ding? Am I on hold?

Is it worth it to follow up since they were so specific?

It's impossible to know. Maybe they didn't meet because something more pressing came up. Maybe a ding's in the mail. Maybe they've postponed making a decision.

I'd generally caution against following up unless you have another offer that is expiring.

oblig.lawl.ref
Posts: 232
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:28 pm

Re: Advice after CB when you're clearly on hold?

Postby oblig.lawl.ref » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:34 am

bk1 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I was given a very specific day that the hiring committee would be meeting and that was a week ago.

Am I waiting for the ding? Am I on hold?

Is it worth it to follow up since they were so specific?

It's impossible to know. Maybe they didn't meet because something more pressing came up. Maybe a ding's in the mail. Maybe they've postponed making a decision.

I'd generally caution against following up unless you have another offer that is expiring.


Curious why you'd generally caution against following up? Is it because they may just decide to ding you because they don't have an answer yet?

I had a similar situation and followed up a couple days after I was supposed to hear back and was told something came up and to hang on a few more days.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18422
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Advice after CB when you're clearly on hold?

Postby bk1 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:37 am

oblig.lawl.ref wrote:Curious why you'd generally caution against following up? Is it because they may just decide to ding you because they don't have an answer yet?

I had a similar situation and followed up a couple days after I was supposed to hear back and was told something came up and to hang on a few more days.

I'm not sure that LOCIs after you've CBed are all that helpful. That said, I'm not that knowledgeable in this area and defer to people with more experience following up after CBs.

oblig.lawl.ref
Posts: 232
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:28 pm

Re: Advice after CB when you're clearly on hold?

Postby oblig.lawl.ref » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:50 am

bk1 wrote:
oblig.lawl.ref wrote:Curious why you'd generally caution against following up? Is it because they may just decide to ding you because they don't have an answer yet?

I had a similar situation and followed up a couple days after I was supposed to hear back and was told something came up and to hang on a few more days.

I'm not sure that LOCIs after you've CBed are all that helpful. That said, I'm not that knowledgeable in this area and defer to people with more experience following up after CBs.


Oh I see, you don't think that it will improve chances of getting an offer. I get that. I just imagine it wouldn't hurt 99% of the time in getting an update on when you'll hear back.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273492
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Advice after CB when you're clearly on hold?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:16 pm

oblig.lawl.ref wrote:
bk1 wrote:
oblig.lawl.ref wrote:Curious why you'd generally caution against following up? Is it because they may just decide to ding you because they don't have an answer yet?

I had a similar situation and followed up a couple days after I was supposed to hear back and was told something came up and to hang on a few more days.

I'm not sure that LOCIs after you've CBed are all that helpful. That said, I'm not that knowledgeable in this area and defer to people with more experience following up after CBs.


Oh I see, you don't think that it will improve chances of getting an offer. I get that. I just imagine it wouldn't hurt 99% of the time in getting an update on when you'll hear back.


IMHO, writing a LOCI in which you don't mention an expiring offer has the possibility of being interpreted by the firm to mean that you don't have an offer (for if you did, you would have mentioned a timeline until such offers expire). And, possibly, a firm thinking you don't have any offers casts a disfavorable light on you as a candidate generally.

With that said, I have been sending post-CB LOCIs and haven't mentioned any expiring offer, because I think it's better than doing nothing at all. My school's career office has told me, and I'm apt to agree, that if you are on hold, and you send them a loci, then when it comes time for the firm to make more offers they will consider you more strongly because they know you haven't already accepted another offer and so they wouldn't be wasting their time contacting you to offer you.

Clearly this is a controversial question, but I say do it. It just makes sense to me that a firm would like to know that you are still on the market and want the offer.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273492
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Advice after CB when you're clearly on hold?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:38 pm

Who would a follow up generally be addressed to?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273492
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Advice after CB when you're clearly on hold?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Who would a follow up generally be addressed to?


Also interested in the answer to this.

A partner told me a specific "you will hear from us either way" day, but obviously my direct communications prior to the callback were with the Recruitment Manager.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273492
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Advice after CB when you're clearly on hold?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Who would a follow up generally be addressed to?


Humbly opinionated anon from a couple posts up here: I've been addressing them to the recruiting coordinator who scheduled my interviews/called me for the CB.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273492
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Advice after CB when you're clearly on hold?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:00 pm

Hmmm. Thinking of sending a message to the Chair of the hiring committee. He interviewed me on campus so it wouldn't be totally out of the blue...

Anonymous User
Posts: 273492
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Advice after CB when you're clearly on hold?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:17 pm

My Career Services recommends to call the recruiting coordinator in this situation. I called following the date they told me id hear back during my CB, the recruiting coordinator basically just said the committee didn't have time to meet and I would hear back soon.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.