DPW v. Cravath v. STB for Lit Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

DPW v. Cravath v. STB for Lit

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:57 pm

I'm just trying to get a sense of the relative strength or character of the lit groups at DPW, Cravath, and STB. Anything would be helpful, but I'm particularly interested in the types of matters they tend to excel in.

Anonymous User

Re: DPW v. Cravath v. STB for Lit

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:48 pm

All are Band 1 commercial lit and do very high level work and your experience at each will be very dependent on who you work for which you can't predict. I would choose based on where you felt the most comfortable or based on objective factors such as office location/quality, or assignment system. All do rotations, Cravath's are longer, DPW and STB's systems are similar but the default rotation quantity is 2 at DPW with an option for a 3rd whereas the default is three at STB. I think the way they assign work is very similar too.

I personally think that Cravath lawyers work somewhat more hours for a not significant boost in "prestige" so I would lean one of the other two, but there is no right or wrong option amongst the three.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:All are Band 1 commercial lit and do very high level work and your experience at each will be very dependent on who you work for which you can't predict. I would choose based on where you felt the most comfortable or based on objective factors such as office location/quality, or assignment system. All do rotations, Cravath's are longer, DPW and STB's systems are similar but the default rotation quantity is 2 at DPW with an option for a 3rd whereas the default is three at STB. I think the way they assign work is very similar too.

I personally think that Cravath lawyers work somewhat more hours for a not significant boost in "prestige" so I would lean one of the other two, but there is no right or wrong option amongst the three.
I tend to agree. Cravath is in some ways a riskier choice given the longer rotation system and longer hours working with the same team. It could turn out good or bad. The other two are safer choices in case you decide litigation is not for you, or you want to explore a different area of litigation. Between them, I would say choose based on the clients they work with, since that could provide more insight then "fit" which is a pretty capricious comparison point given the limited data you have on hand (i.e., your brief encounters with overly pleasant associates who likely want to make a good impression on you). In almost every other measure, the two are nearly the same -- location, personality (both are known as more "passive-aggressive" or pleasant), prestige, and practice strengths.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:26 am

Anonymous User wrote:All are Band 1 commercial lit and do very high level work and your experience at each will be very dependent on who you work for which you can't predict. I would choose based on where you felt the most comfortable or based on objective factors such as office location/quality, or assignment system. All do rotations, Cravath's are longer, DPW and STB's systems are similar but the default rotation quantity is 2 at DPW with an option for a 3rd whereas the default is three at STB. I think the way they assign work is very similar too.

STB doesn't rotate if you are in litigation. Rotation only applies to corporate associates.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”