Patent Attorney in Biomechanics and Bioelectronics Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
VMeyer4

New

Patent Attorney in Biomechanics and Bioelectronics

Post by VMeyer4 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:15 am

Hi,

I am a fourth year undergraduate student in Bioengineering (5 year program, as co-op is mandatory). Much of my recent research says that if I want to obtain a position as a biotech patent attorney, I should obtain an advanced degree in Biomedical Engineering, Biotechnology, etc. However, I am looking to work in biomechanics and bioelectronics. According to a patent attorney I recently spoke with, those two areas fall more into the realm of mechanical and electrical, so an advanced degree would not be necessary. What are your thoughts on this?

ipguy

New

Re: Patent Attorney in Biomechanics and Bioelectronics

Post by ipguy » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:03 pm

RIT?

The comment about wanting to work in biomechanics and bioelectronics makes very little sense to me. Do you mean medical devices?

Bio-anything is going to require a graduate degree, and preferably a PhD if you want big law. It will also help to at least have *some* work experience (>2 years, not research at school, not co-op). K-JD isn't very desirable in IP IME.

I would suggest working (or going in to your masters) after finishing up your BS. Then get a job as a tech-spec (or take the patent bar and get a job as an agent) at a firm to: 1) confirm its what you want to do 2) get someone else to pay for your school and 3) line up a job after graduation.

It probably isn't what you want to hear, but by far going to be the best option for you.

Honestly, if you could get a MS in EE with the BS you have without taking too much more work, you'll be infinitely better off. Don't get an advanced degree in straight mechanical. Not only is it not going to help you in engineering, it will be pretty useless in IP. If you're not interested in working at large or mid-size firms, then you could make other decisions.

Anonymous User

Re: Patent Attorney in Biomechanics and Bioelectronics

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:15 pm

Find a recent patent to read and see if you understand the disclosure and claims thereof.

If you find reading a patent or a few patents in an hour is boring, you might not want to be a patent attorney.

What ipguy said above is correct. Anything bio- requires a Ph.D. title unless you go to T14 and do litigation. EE is a much better choice.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”