Is biglaw hiring all wrapped up?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Is biglaw hiring all wrapped up?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:07 pm

wiz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:What markets are people having/had some success with at this point in the game?

I know people are still having success in New York and Boston.

Meanwhile, I'm in Boston and getting nothing.

Pokemon

Postby Pokemon » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:V30 CB offer today. soon after a V100 telling me their class was full. It varies by firm and some yields were better than others. Try and fill those holes.

Cause if you don't, someone else will!

Allenowen

Postby Allenowen » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:54 pm

No, keep going.

enibs

Postby enibs » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:08 pm

In general, the current hiring status at the big firms falls into one of three categories:

1. They're done with interviews, given their offers, and are on track with projected yield. They may be holding a few on their wait list, but they're not going to be looking at anyone they haven't already interviewed and they're unlikely to be going to their waitlist. (If they're tracking ahead of projected yield, they may be hoping - or in extreme cases like Kasowitz, even encouraging - that people still holding offers turn them down.) If you've had a callback and are still waiting to hear back, you'll get the rejection at some point.

2. They're done with interviews, given their offers, are below track on their projected yield, but have enough people on the waitlist to fill out their class if they need to go to the waitlist. If you've had a callback and are still waiting to hear back, there's still hope. Their primary offerees should be hitting their offer deadlines over the next couple of weeks, so that's the likely timeframe for you to get an anwer if you're still waiting.

3. They've done their interviews and given offers, but they're tracking significantly below their projected yield and/or have an insufficient waitlist. I know there are some firms in this position (don't ask how I know but I do), but they're clearly in the minority. These firms will be considering issuing more callbacks, whether in response to mass mailings or by going to the career services people at the schools where they recruit and asking who's available. I don't want to be overly optimistic, but it's definitely worth it to keep mailing. And definitely make sure that your career services office knows you're still looking in case any firms contact them.

Good luck!

westphillybandr

Postby westphillybandr » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:12 pm

:(
enibs wrote:In general, the current hiring status at the big firms falls into one of three categories:

1. They're done with interviews, given their offers, and are on track with projected yield. They may be holding a few on their wait list, but they're not going to be looking at anyone they haven't already interviewed and they're unlikely to be going to their waitlist. (If they're tracking ahead of projected yield, they may be hoping - or in extreme cases like Kasowitz, even encouraging - that people still holding offers turn them down.) If you've had a callback and are still waiting to hear back, you'll get the rejection at some point.

2. They're done with interviews, given their offers, are below track on their projected yield, but have enough people on the waitlist to fill out their class if they need to go to the waitlist. If you've had a callback and are still waiting to hear back, there's still hope. Their primary offerees should be hitting their offer deadlines over the next couple of weeks, so that's the likely timeframe for you to get an anwer if you're still waiting.

3. They've done their interviews and given offers, but they're tracking significantly below their projected yield and/or have an insufficient waitlist. I know there are some firms in this position (don't ask how I know but I do), but they're clearly in the minority. These firms will be considering issuing more callbacks, whether in response to mass mailings or by going to the career services people at the schools where they recruit and asking who's available. I don't want to be overly optimistic, but it's definitely worth it to keep mailing. And definitely make sure that your career services office knows you're still looking in case any firms contact them.

Good luck!

There was 0 meaningful info in this post.

enibs

Postby enibs » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:57 pm

westphillybandr wrote:There was 0 meaningful info in this post.

I don't mean to sidetrack this thread, but I really am curious as to what possible reason someone would have to post this. Even if you thought it, why would you post it?

BostonLove

Postby BostonLove » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:16 pm

enibs wrote:In general, the current hiring status at the big firms falls into one of three categories:

Good luck!

Would you mind sharing (if possible) what firms - either here or in PM?

enibs wrote:

I don't mean to sidetrack this thread, but I really am curious as to what possible reason someone would have to post this. Even if you thought it, why would you post it?

I agreed. I actually found your post helpful, since it indicates that there's at least some chance still. Even if nothing backs it up, it gives hope and thus motivation to keep on grinding on!

westphillybandr

Postby westphillybandr » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:27 pm

enibs wrote:

To discourage you from posting frivolously

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:25 am

Callback at v100 firm (NY) Friday, 9/27. Offer Wednesday, 10/2. Probably still some out there if you look hard enough

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Callback at v100 firm (NY) Friday, 9/27. Offer Wednesday, 10/2. Probably still some out there if you look hard enough

Do you have some advice on which markets to target?

dthem2015

Postby dthem2015 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Callback at v100 firm (NY) Friday, 9/27. Offer Wednesday, 10/2. Probably still some out there if you look hard enough

Do you have some advice on which markets to target?

I mass-mailed NY and NJ firms. Alot of dings via email and this was the only screener/callback I got from the mass-mailing process.

Good old' boy

Postby Good old' boy » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:49 am

No. I received an offer today in a secondary market through mass mailing. I have another friend who received a few screeners in a major market last week. Keep plugging away.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:50 pm

Good old' boy wrote:No. I received an offer today in a secondary market through mass mailing. I have another friend who received a few screeners in a major market last week. Keep plugging away.

What markets did you have luck with?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:34 pm

Any news w/ re. to recent activity from Alston/Dechert???

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:02 pm

I think it's safe to assume that silence this late in the game = ding city.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

nice anon abuse. :roll:

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I think it's safe to assume that silence this late in the game = ding city.

Just got an offer after 6 weeks of silence. V100 NYC. Don't bet on it, but hope exists.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

nice anon abuse. :roll:

Posting anon to complain about anon abuse is a little ironic, no?

People, if you have a problem with use of anon, please use the report button (red ! to the right of the post text), don't bring it up in the thread.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I think it's safe to assume that silence this late in the game = ding city.

Just got an offer after 6 weeks of silence. V100 NYC. Don't bet on it, but hope exists.

Did you ever follow up during the 6 week wait?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Did you ever follow up during the 6 week wait?

Yes, three times. Once with recruiting. Twice with my OCI interviewer. Only heard a response once. Ignored the other times.

ETA: I think it helped though. Because even though I was ignored the second time, when the offer came up they knew i was still interested in having to reach out to me and check.

moniker

Postby moniker » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:11 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:People, if you have a problem with use of anon, please use the report button (red ! to the right of the post text), don't bring it up in the thread.

:idea:

Seconded!

User was outed and banned for anon abuse.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:04 pm

Friend with V100 NYC offer today - CB was probably over a month ago.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:39 pm

Does anyone know anywhere still hiring

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:42 am

Still waiting on a couple V100s, any hope for me or should I start applying to McD's?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:53 am

Biglaw hiring in my midwest market, from what I am hearing from the attorneys I've met with, is pretty close to finished. Though a few firms are still waiting on outstanding offers. Maybe if all of those offers are rejected, they'll do more callbacks? Will follow up if I hear anything.

*Sigh

It's time like these where I've been taking to listening to inspirational speeches on not giving up.

Like Valvano's speech:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... uoVM9nm42E

Return to “Legal Employment”