Not willing to give up

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Not willing to give up

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:39 pm

Struck out at OCIs. Sent ~600 mass-mail emails. Followed up with the cities that I have ties to.

4 callbacks in home market. ~5 phone interviews in satellite markets.

So I am waiting to hear back from callbacks and interviews, but I do not want to just sit on my hands. I am just not sure what I should be doing at this point. Any advice on how to keep pushing forward?

Anonymous User

Re: Not willing to give up

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:00 pm

Just keep on plugging at it.

Prepare very well for the interviews you've received.

And, it seems that you've been working very hard. Be sure to take some time to breathe and collect your thoughts.

I may even suggest going out and getting super hammered every now and then.

I also struck out at OCI, and I am now mass mailing. And for me, if I wasn't going out to bars/etc. I would have lost my mind.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:02 pm

Don't give up! Keep plugging away.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:08 pm

Do everything you can to sharpen your interview skills. Hell, pay $500 for a private instructor if it means the difference between a job and no job. What would be best, probably, is to sit down with your OCS for a mock interview and tell them to not hold back.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:40 am

Anonymous User wrote:Struck out at OCIs. Sent ~600 mass-mail emails. Followed up with the cities that I have ties to.

So I am waiting to hear back from callbacks and interviews, but I do not want to just sit on my hands. I am just not sure what I should be doing at this point. Any advice on how to keep pushing forward?

For the 600 emails, I'm assuming you didn't personalize them, so what did you do? Just a general cover letter, or just a resume?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:03 am

Anonymous User wrote:

For the 600 emails, I'm assuming you didn't personalize them, so what did you do? Just a general cover letter, or just a resume?

I personalized them with mail merge names and the text by city/region. And it was an email that read like a short cover letter with my résumé and other materials attached.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:14 am

OP here.

Thank you for the advice and support. I apologize if I wasn't super clear, but I do not currently have any interviews on the horizon. All of my interviews are complete for the time being and I am just waiting on responses.

So is there anything that I can be doing to muster up more opportunities for myself?

badaboom61

Postby badaboom61 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:17 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I personalized them with mail merge names and the text by city/region. And it was an email that read like a short cover letter with my résumé and other materials attached.

9 interviews is really not bad for a mailing campaign, even when that involves 600 letters. I don't think additional personalization would have helped much.

Do mock interviews like crazy, rehearse some answers, try to talk to someone who worked at the firms in a recent summer, talk to people who are familiar with the firm's particular practice and reputation.

Otherwise, keep up the mailings and don't be discouraged. Realize that you might have to work in a non-firm or very small firm next summer, but that doesn't mean you won't be able to find a job after graduation.

Edit: Thought there were still interviews on horizon. Ignore those first couple of lines.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:40 am

I'm in the same boat but I haven't sent out half as many letters. Perhaps I'm personalizing them a bit too much.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm in the same boat but I haven't sent out half as many letters. Perhaps I'm personalizing them a bit too much.

Same here.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:04 pm

Do you email even when they firm website asks for an online application? I've been filling out the applications when available. My feeling is it will look bad if I don't take the time to use the form they have created for that very purpose.

badaboom61

Postby badaboom61 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:01 am

Anonymous User wrote:Do you email even when they firm website asks for an online application? I've been filling out the applications when available. My feeling is it will look bad if I don't take the time to use the form they have created for that very purpose.

My experience was that if they require an online application, you're probably never going to hear anything from them, ever. It's probably worth filling out even for the infinitesimally small chance you might get a peep. If they have an online app, their email applications are going straight into the trash.

NYstate

Postby NYstate » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:28 am

Anonymous User wrote:Struck out at OCIs. Sent ~600 mass-mail emails. Followed up with the cities that I have ties to.

Contact alumni and talk to them about their practice, job advice, anything, just keep making contacts.
Go to bar events.
Ask everyone you know for leads/contacts, even friends of friends or distant relatives.

Try to start or maintain a healthy lifestyle with diet and exercise.
Keep your social life going.

Return to “Legal Employment”