Tips for turning internship into permanent position?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Tips for turning internship into permanent position?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:55 pm

I apologize if this is a silly question.

I'm a 3L below medium at a tier 2 in NYC on a full tuition scholarship. I've worked for 2 judges and 1 small law firm. I wasn't sure what type of law I was interested in so I just kind of applied to a bunch of jobs with the intention of getting a semester internship. I kind of liked torts and was taking medical malpractice this semester so many of the firms I applied to were personal injury.

Anyways I recently got an unpaid internship at a personal injury firm in Manhattan (they also deal with medical malpractice and pharmaceutical cases (firm has 50 attorneys). The partner and several other associates are graduates of my law school.

Any tips for proving myself and turning this internship into a permanent job offer?

They never asked for my transcripts when I was hired (resume, cover letter and writing sample). My grades are really not good. Is this something that will haunt me, even if I do excellent work?

This firm has the tendency to hire interns permanently, the current law clerks (will be associates once they pass the bar), were all interns there.

ninereal

Re: Tips for turning internship into permanent position?

Postby ninereal » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:06 pm

Do good work and get the people there to like you, then bring up the possibility of getting hired on full-time. There's not really much more to it than that.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:32 pm

ninereal wrote:Do good work and get the people there to like you, then bring up the possibility of getting hired on full-time. There's not really much more to it than that.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:24 am

emphasis on the "get people to like you": you could shit golden eggs in terms of the work product, but if you're an asshole (to the point nobody wants to work with you) they'll cut you loose quick.

adelaine041

Postby adelaine041 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:24 am

Resume and grades are their first basis but in the long run your performance and how you work with them is the one that matters most. So make sure you do well on your intern.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:26 am

This isn't exactly responsive to your question but I am gonna tell you anyway. So you're an unemployed non-1L. This means finding a job is your first priority. Not throwing good time after bad on law school grades, not grinding away at journal. Be willing and enthusiastic about staying late or anything else that tends to integrate you into the team.

TJISMYHERO

Postby TJISMYHERO » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:28 am

I have done this, although it was at a much smaller firm.

I worked this past summer at a small plaintiff's firm which explicitly told me at the beginning of the internship that there was little to no chance of a permanent offer.

I ended up with a full time offer, and I think the reason is primarily because of my work product. The other posters are right, you have to be likable, but I think that part of the decision is overplayed. Yes, don't be a dick. But, not being a pain in the ass to work with is the bare minimum. The only way you are going to set yourself apart is by doing top quality work.

Top quality work to me means:

(1) Never be late with an assignment. Ever.
(2) Proofread everything multiple times before sending it to your assigning attorney.
(3) Follow the Bluebook and a style manual.
(4) Especially at a plaintiff's firm, be concise. No one wants to read three case analogies when the answer is clear.
(5) When drafting a motion or petition, get behind your clients and really, really want to win for them. You need to want to win in order to draft court filings that will help your clients win.

Gorki

Postby Gorki » Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:46 pm

If you can, figure out as to their past Internship hiring practices. If they hire an intern every single year, and that intern is rarely if ever made FT, assume its just a program for law students and continue mass-applying everywhere... Even if they routinely make interns FT, mass-apply anyways.

As to the advice above me, its all good except I think a bit too naive/narrow in its whole Bluebooking and advocacy. Some attorneys will do the weirdest stuff in forming citations, especially to court documents... Ask how they do this and BE CONSISTENT with their approach... sending them multiple documents that are 100% Bluebook correct will just make them think you either (a) do not understand instructions, or (b) think you know how to do it better than them (which, with the egos of attys is a bad thing).

In regards to "wanting your clients to win," well yes this is pretty straight forward... but if your at a mill that uses a lot of templated language with a strict process as to how things are done in pleadings, use that... do not go on writing pages and pages on how this 1 client has the "biggest, best case" the court has ever seen... In most P's work, you are not fooling anyone, especially not your bosses.

TJISMYHERO

Postby TJISMYHERO » Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:45 pm

Gorki wrote:If you can, figure out as to their past Internship hiring practices. If they hire an intern every single year, and that intern is rarely if ever made FT, assume its just a program for law students and continue mass-applying everywhere... Even if they routinely make interns FT, mass-apply anyways.

As to the advice above me, its all good except I think a bit too naive/narrow in its whole Bluebooking and advocacy. Some attorneys will do the weirdest stuff in forming citations, especially to court documents... Ask how they do this and BE CONSISTENT with their approach... sending them multiple documents that are 100% Bluebook correct will just make them think you either (a) do not understand instructions, or (b) think you know how to do it better than them (which, with the egos of attys is a bad thing).

In regards to "wanting your clients to win," well yes this is pretty straight forward... but if your at a mill that uses a lot of templated language with a strict process as to how things are done in pleadings, use that... do not go on writing pages and pages on how this 1 client has the "biggest, best case" the court has ever seen... In most P's work, you are not fooling anyone, especially not your bosses.

Agreed. Cite how they cite. Most firms I've worked at have a few quirks that are different from the Bluebook, and you should do what the firm does. If, however, there is no precedent on how to cite something, the Bluebook is the correct default.

As far as using templated language, yeah, you'll be using a lot of it. But, there will be times when you have to make a case based on your unique facts, whether in a pleading or a motion, and I think it's incredibly helpful to feel like you're behind your client. Might be naive/narrow, but your enthusiasm might also get you the job.

hiima3L

Postby hiima3L » Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:57 pm

1. Figure out if it's even possible. I don't know why a firm that hires interns without pay would take that intern as an associate later on, but I could be wrong.

2. Do good work and get everyone to like you.

Return to “Legal Employment”