Sheppard Mullin SF, LA or Palo Alto. Thoughts? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Sheppard Mullin SF, LA or Palo Alto. Thoughts?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:46 pm

Does anyone know anything about these offices and the atmosphere? Know anything about the summer associate program?

Anonymous User

Re: Sheppard Mullin SF, LA or Palo Alto. Thoughts?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:31 pm

What are your other offers?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:48 pm

Would be interested in this as well.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:48 am

LA is a legit office. It's not an elite firm like Munger/Irell/Gibson/Quinn/OMM/Latham, but it's probably on the same level as the other native LA/Socal shops (I'd say its peer firms are places like PH, Manatt, etc.) The people I've met from there seem cool and it's supposedly a decent place to work for a biglaw firm.

Can't say much about the other two offices.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:04 am

The SF office never even contacted me after a screener, if that helps. Did not find them to be the "nicest." Have heard wonderful things about the LA office- lots of interesting entertainment and media work, plus the normal west coast lit.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

arklaw13

Gold

Post by arklaw13 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:31 am

A partner came to talk to my school (not sure which office he works at) and he was casually dressed and had quite a few small, but prominent tattoos along his arms. I thought that was pretty interesting. He does transactional work for film producers and stuff.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:09 pm

I summered in the LA office last year. I'll be starting this fall. I really enjoyed the summer and thus far, I'm excited about getting started. I'll answer any specific questions I can about the firm, but I really can only speak about the LA office.

RE the entertainment work, most of that is done in the Century City office. The LA office is the HQ for the firm and pretty much everything is done there.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:21 pm

Did you interact with any of the other offices? What is your general take on the firm as a whole? As far as being a summer, I noticed they had an offer rate of 29 out of 31. What are the reasons for being no offered and what offices do they come from?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:33 am

Interaction with other offices: The LA office interacts significantly with the Century City office over the summer. The LA summers and CC summers were invited to most social gatherings together. We did the 2 week trial advocacy program (TAP) together. The LA summers attended a couple events with the CC attorneys, including a trip to Vegas. There are a few attorneys that work out of both of these offices. We got invited to a concert at Staples with some of the Orange County attorneys. I'm not sure what the level of interaction was with the other offices.

General take on the firm: I honestly loved the whole summer and I'm really excited about the firm. The summer is a good mix of real work and fun. We rotated through 3 different practice areas and had 2 whole weeks devoted to the TAP program, which is challenging but fun. At the end of the summer the SAs rank the practice areas and the firm tries to match up with interest. There were also a lot of social activities: weekend trip to Vegas, Staples concert, Dodgers games, movie screening at Sony studios, parties at partner's houses, go-karting, etc. The 10 weeks is a ton of fun, but by the end you'll be exhausted. The summer hours seemed pretty flexible, it was more about getting your work done than any set times.

Offers: I don't know about the other offices but our summer 9 out of 10 SAs received an offer. This past summer I heard that all SAs received an offer. I honestly don't know why one of the SAs didn't receive an offer my summer. I didn't inquire either with the firm or her.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:28 pm

Thanks so much. I'm interested in the SF and PA offices. I think both offices only take about 2 or 3 a year. I'm guessing they might meet up too and do activities. I really love the firm and the people. Hopefully everything works out.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:16 am

What is the deal with Sheppard and 2L grades - are they a major aspect of being offered at the end of the summer?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:35 pm

Very interested in this as well and any advice from SF SA's or associates is appreciated! Thanks!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I summered in the LA office last year. I'll be starting this fall. I really enjoyed the summer and thus far, I'm excited about getting started. I'll answer any specific questions I can about the firm, but I really can only speak about the LA office.

RE the entertainment work, most of that is done in the Century City office. The LA office is the HQ for the firm and pretty much everything is done there.
Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but when is the typical fall start date for SM?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”