Shouldn't career centers have some type of lists of firms?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Shouldn't career centers have some type of lists of firms?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:01 pm

T-20 school, interested in a very reasonable / specific area of the law. Have an old boss in that field who told me to list 20 or so opportunities I'm interested in and he'll look through his contacts and see who he can connect me with.

Asked career center for some advice / list of firms that practice a lot in this area, etc (when I Googled for these type of firms all I got was a bunch of solos who list every practice area on their website). When I went to my career center adviser with the e-mail from attorney she jumped around my question forever (reason why I came there), until finally just stating just tell the ex-boss what I want to do "in general" / see what he says.

I did, he responded he's not a good brain stormer and would be more helpful if I listed specific opportunities I'm interested in.

Forwarded that e-mail to adviser a couple days ago and she has never responded.

Is what I am asking for non-existent at career centers? Or should I try to just go to someone at the career center who wasn't my assigned adviser?

Pokemon

Re: Shouldn't career centers have some type of lists of firms?

Postby Pokemon » Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:04 pm

Never ever expect anything from the career services. Meet with them, be friendly with them, cause you never know where something positive could come from. At the same time, keep expectations down to 0. I am probably much more helpful to law students than career services is... no joke, I have received literally, like 180 degrees wrong advice from them on numerous occasions.

I also want to defend them a bit. It makes sense that they are not helpful cause their job is to focus on the entire student population. It is to get for example as many firms at OCI as they can, but it is not to make sure John Smith has somewhat individualized resources for his job search.

Anonymous User

Re: Shouldn't career centers have some type of lists of firms?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:08 pm

Pokemon wrote:Never ever expect anything from the career services. Meet with them, be friendly with them, cause you never know where something positive could come from. At the same time, keep expectations down to 0. I am probably much more helpful to law students than career services is... no joke, I have received literally, like 180 degrees wrong advice from them on numerous occasions.

Yea... in bitching to law students about me not really knowing the firms / them just continuing to ignore my actual question, a good friend in the law school (who worked this summer in same area of law but different side thought of 3 different firms her firm went against).. She has officially been a million times more helpful than the career center...

Return to “Legal Employment”