Minnesota Market: When is it too late to get a 2L SA job?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Minnesota Market: When is it too late to get a 2L SA job?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:03 pm

I'm hoping to get the board's thoughts/advice/personal experience on when it's too late to score a 2L summer associate/law clerk position, for big law firms and mid-size firms in Minnesota. Specially, in either Minneapolis or St. Paul.

I completely struck out at OCI. I am getting very concerned, and the fear of unemployment after law school is eating at my mind. I go to a T20, top 40%. Secondary journal.

I really like the Minnesota legal market.

Anonymous User

Re: Minnesota Market: When is it too late to get a 2L SA job?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:18 pm

You should get to networking at this point with professors and lawyers in the community who can get you interviews come 3L year with small to mid-size firms. The good thing is that in Minneapolis, 3L hiring is somewhat common so it's not too late to get a job. The bad news is that top 40% is likely not good enough for big law firms in Minneapolis no matter what you do now--unless you can get a top clerkship, which will require better grades/connections.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:25 pm

^ Thank you.

Yeah, I was planning on clerking. And I am going to give it my all to try and crack into the top 25%.

I just do not feel good at school. All I hear from 2Ls and how they have gotten [x] offer, or accepted [x] offer. I feel like a loser compared to my classmates. I know those talking about OCI offers are a slim minority, maybe 10% of our class? Yet, it still does not feel good.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:06 am

It's not uncommon for 2Ls to clerk for mid-size firm during the year, and then work for them over the summer, and assuming it's a good fit and the 2L does good work, the mid-size firm extends a full-time offer.

That's a longer route, but it's another route.

Return to “Legal Employment”