Typos in cover letters - resend?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Typos in cover letters - resend?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:05 pm

I still have yet to hear back from a lot of the places I mass mailed in my secondary market (sent in early August). I'm planning on sending follow up emails to these places saying I'm still interested. My question is, if I've since noticed a typo in the cover letter, should I send them another copy and act like nothing happened the first time I sent it around? I have no idea if the original stuff got looked at or not, I'm worried I emailed too early to these places and my stuff just got buried in an inbox before they were ever ready to start looking at applications.

Anonymous User

Re: Typos in cover letters - resend?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I still have yet to hear back from a lot of the places I mass mailed in my secondary market (sent in early August). I'm planning on sending follow up emails to these places saying I'm still interested. My question is, if I've since noticed a typo in the cover letter, should I send them another copy and act like nothing happened the first time I sent it around? I have no idea if the original stuff got looked at or not, I'm worried I emailed too early to these places and my stuff just got buried in an inbox before they were ever ready to start looking at applications.

I wouldn't send the same cover letter regardless. I would write a short 3-4 sentence letter in the same email chain as the previous one

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I still have yet to hear back from a lot of the places I mass mailed in my secondary market (sent in early August). I'm planning on sending follow up emails to these places saying I'm still interested. My question is, if I've since noticed a typo in the cover letter, should I send them another copy and act like nothing happened the first time I sent it around? I have no idea if the original stuff got looked at or not, I'm worried I emailed too early to these places and my stuff just got buried in an inbox before they were ever ready to start looking at applications.

I wouldn't send the same cover letter regardless. I would write a short 3-4 sentence letter in the same email chain as the previous one

Yeah this. Use the same email chain but do not attach a new document.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:20 pm

ImNoScar wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Why? (Serious question, not being sarcastic). Maybe resending a cover letter isnt a good idea, but wouldn't it make more sense to start a new email chain and just mention you had submitted your materials previously? It seems like if I attached something to the same email chain, that, they would absolutely see any typos.

Edit: guess it making it easier for them to find everything is kind of the upside of it too, since theyll probably look anyway.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
ImNoScar wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Why? (Serious question, not being sarcastic). Maybe resending a cover letter isnt a good idea, but wouldn't it make more sense to start a new email chain and just mention you had submitted your materials previously? It seems like if I attached something to the same email chain, that, they would absolutely see any typos.

Edit: guess it making it easier for them to find everything is kind of the upside of it too, since theyll probably look anyway.

Not one of the prior posters, but this is my view:

If you send a follow up email, they see your original email without searching, have everything together, and it seems like you are more interested due to the multiple emails (because they might not read the full letter to get to the part where you say you've applied). I think sending materials again has the potential to have your materials in the pile twice and further down. I don't think a firm will appreciate receiving your materials twice. In many cases, they might not even notice they typo.

Basically, I'd follow up with an email reconfirming your interest sent on the same email chain as your original without any new attachments.

Return to “Legal Employment”