Army Reserves

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Shaggier1

Army Reserves

Postby Shaggier1 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:49 pm

Does anyone here have experience with, or know someone who has experience, with a reserve branch?

I would like to sign on as a reserve officer but I am not sure how compatible that idea is with life at a firm (a very busy, sweatshop-y firm).

I am also wondering the quality of work that JAG officers do when in the reserves. I don't imagine you can go to trial when you are only working one weekend a month...

Anyone have any insights?

Thanks!

SemperLegal

Re: Army Reserves

Postby SemperLegal » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:57 pm

Shaggier1 wrote:Does anyone here have experience with, or know someone who has experience, with a reserve branch?

I would like to sign on as a reserve officer but I am not sure how compatible that idea is with life at a firm (a very busy, sweatshop-y firm).

I am also wondering the quality of work that JAG officers do when in the reserves. I don't imagine you can go to trial when you are only working one weekend a month...

Anyone have any insights?

Thanks!

I spent many years enlisted in the Reserves while working a fulltime job, and some of my friends are still Reserve JAGS. Now with the sequester and the wars winding down (allegedly) things may have changed but:

The first thing to know is that the one weekend a month bit is kind of obsolete. Instead, most Units mix and match there training drills so you might serve 3 weeks straight of drills and then not have any duties for a few months. Additionally, with the launch of individual manpower augmentees (IMA). its most likely that you will volunteer/voluntold to be transferred to another unit for either 90, 190, or 400 days to either fill in for an active duty shortfall or to fill a newly created billet (e.g. Counsel to the Liaison office at DoS for AFRICOM).

As for how it fits in with firm life, I am not sure. However, legally you have the same, or greater protections, as a suspect class if you are fired for your military status or commitments. For example, there is a DoL branch that exists solely to investigate whenever a reservist files a complaint that he was fired or passed over due to an activation.

Shaggier1

Re: Army Reserves

Postby Shaggier1 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:30 pm

Thanks, Semper. That's helpful info. - appreciate it.

Return to “Legal Employment”