1L SA in market you don't want postgrad...

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

1L SA in market you don't want postgrad...

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:43 am

Not to put the cart ahead of the horse, but to the extent 1L SAs exist for people with ties (AL, TX), is it bad form to aim for a 1L SA in a market you're not super interested in postgrad simply because it's one of the rare markets that offers postgrad work?

badaboom61

Re: 1L SA in market you don't want postgrad...

Postby badaboom61 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:25 am

It's not bad form, no. You'll be seen as a jerk if you go around to the other SA's saying "well, I really hate this backwards place, next summer in San Francisco is going to be sooooo much better," but I assume you have better sense than that. But if you can convince a firm to hire you for the summer, it's never bad form to accept it.

You also shouldn't assume you'll be able to get any other job in a more desired market, either as a 2L SA or elsewhere. Jobs are not easy to come by for anyone right now. Take every opportunity you have to get a job lined up. If a better one comes along, great. If not, you'll be very happy to have a job, even though its in Birmingham.

chem

Postby chem » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:21 am

Not at all. I did it. As long as in some realistic scenario, you could see yourself working there, ie nothing else working out. Who knows? You may love it

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:24 am

Well good thing you don't need to worry about it for another 3 months.

BullShitWithBravado

Postby BullShitWithBravado » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:31 pm

Take a 1L SA if you can get one, even if it's in a secondary market you're not interested in. I did that and I really feel like it helped prepare me for my 2L SA in a different market.

mephistopheles

Postby mephistopheles » Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:25 pm

BullShitWithBravado wrote:Take a 1L SA if you can get one, even if it's in a secondary market you're not interested in. I did that and I really feel like it helped prepare me for my 2L SA in a different market.

this. it's amazing in interviews and will really help you relative to people who didn't get one in terms of adjusting quickly.

KidStuddi

Postby KidStuddi » Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:53 pm

mephistopheles wrote:
BullShitWithBravado wrote:Take a 1L SA if you can get one, even if it's in a secondary market you're not interested in. I did that and I really feel like it helped prepare me for my 2L SA in a different market.

this. it's amazing in interviews and will really help you relative to people who didn't get one in terms of adjusting quickly.

Do not buy the nonsense that a 1L SA will put you at an advantage for 2L employment, because it's not going to put you ahead of anyone who did anything else law related. It'll come up in your interviews, of course, but so will anything else you do 1L summer. You'll either have to be asking to split your summer, or defending why you weren't given an offer to return. Neither of these scenarios makes you more appealing than someone who interned at a federal court or worked at an agency or PI org where you still end up writing all summer.

Pursue the 1L SA for the money and chance at permanent employment.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:56 pm

KidStuddi wrote:
mephistopheles wrote:

Do not buy the nonsense that a 1L SA will put you at an advantage for 2L employment, because it's not going to put you ahead of anyone who did anything else law related. It'll come up in your interviews, of course, but so will anything else you do 1L summer. You'll either have to be asking to split your summer, or defending why you weren't given an offer to return. Neither of these scenarios makes you more appealing than someone who interned at a federal court or worked at an agency or PI org where you still end up writing all summer.

Pursue the 1L SA for the money and chance at permanent employment.

I actually agree with this. I performed as my GPA + journal would suggest. But definitely do it for the chance at a permanent offer.

Return to “Legal Employment”