How is getting no-offered as a 1L viewed by law firms?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

How is getting no-offered as a 1L viewed by law firms?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:19 pm

Is there much of a difference between how a firm views a no-offered 1L v. a no-offered 2L?

I was no offered at the end of my 1L summer because there were 2 projects I did not do well on. Not much luck with OCI.

Getting pretty damn nervous. I know I was not a super-star as a 1L. But I definitely got better and better as the summer went on. Took constructive feedback, met with the assigning attorneys, and got a much better feel on how to excel on projects. But, I suppose unlike some of my colleagues, it took me a little bit longer to figure things out.

I just know that if I was given a shot as a 2L SA, I would absolutely do better. I have a stronger perspective on how to better approach projects, the right questions to ask the assigning attorney, and how to best approach any sort of formal writing. I didn't have that experience going into my 1L SA position, but now I do.

I just would really like a second swing with a firm. I know I can do better.

Anonymous User

Re: How is getting no-offered as a 1L viewed by law firms?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:36 pm

Bump.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:39 pm

I know that some firms call to confirm whether you got an offer from your 1L SA, so some firms probably takes no-offer seriously.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:34 pm

^ Are firms allowed to confirm it?

Under some state laws, the firm will only confirm that the individual worked at the firm.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:45 pm

No offers are definitely not a good look.

I was a 1L summer associate as well and EVERY firm I interviewed with for 2L SA asked me if I received an offer from my 1L firm.

It is a tough situation to be in. Is an attorney at your 1L firm serving as a reference for you?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:53 pm

OP here.

Yes, there is an attorney willing to serve as a reference.

I went through OCI, and was not asked about it. But I have not had any callbacks, so maybe it'll happen then.

Should I just give up on joining a private firm for the short-term?

Return to “Legal Employment”