Crawling Back to Firm for 3L after Turning Down Offer 2L

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Crawling Back to Firm for 3L after Turning Down Offer 2L

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:25 pm

Does anyone know how this works? I'm asking because I think I might want to move back to my home market, even though I stupidly declined an offer from a firm there earlier (idiotic law student, ambivalence about location, prestige concerns, exit options, etc.).

I realize that 3L hiring is virtually nonexistent and even more nonexistent outside of NY. But my question is how I will be treated when I apply again next summer. Will they treat me as a new applicant? Will I be treated more or less favorably because I have previously applied, and the recruiting coordinator and hiring attorneys know me?

What about for firms that rejected me after CB's? Will I be treated negatively as a reapplicant? I'm already envisioning it will be pretty awkward to reapply (do I reintroduce myself like I never even interacted with the firm or met the recruiting coordinator even though I did?).

Obviously, I understand my questions aren't particularly meaningful when you consider the probability of landing a biglaw job as a 3L. And maybe attempting to lateral after a year or two is the correct course of action. But are there any other steps I should be taking right now? For example, I'll be back home over winter break. Are there any strategies for networking, particularly with attorneys at firms that previously rejected me post-CB or offered me?

Anonymous User

Re: Crawling Back to Firm for 3L after Turning Down Offer 2L

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:08 pm

bump.

Also interested in this - trying to decide between two offers in different markets & wondering what my options would be if I choose the larger market and end up hating it

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:16 pm

all i can speak for is my firm, but my firm's HR treats people who turned down offers as complete persona non grata. have to imagine this gets even more pronounced the smaller the market is. unless there's been turnover in hiring partner/HR, it'll probably be a tough go.

edit: I thought we were talking about after going through the summer program then turning down a permanent offer. if it's just after a CB, it's not nearly as big a deal.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:all i can speak for is my firm, but my firm's HR treats people who turned down offers as complete persona non grata. have to imagine this gets even more pronounced the smaller the market is. unless there's been turnover in hiring partner/HR, it'll probably be a tough go.

edit: I thought we were talking about after going through the summer program then turning down a permanent offer. if it's just after a CB, it's not nearly as big a deal.

OP here. Thank you for your response. This is exactly what I was looking for - personal anecdotes from firms, since that's all there really is on this topic. Also, sorry for the confusion. I was talking about turning down an offer for summer employment after the CB, not permanent offer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:38 pm

I turned down a big NYC firm and just got a letter from them encouraging me to reach out to their recruiting director if still interested going into 3L. This firm has been known to hire 3L's in the past though, so maybe that's part of it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:11 am

It probably depends on the firm's hiring needs. I know that two of the firms I seriously entertained after OCI got in contact towards the end of my 2L summer to ask whether I was happy with my choice. While it never got to the point of an offer, that seemed to be what was on the table if I hadn't responded by saying I was happy with the firm I went to. So long as you left a favorable impression, it's not crazy to make contact and inquire.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:14 am

Turned down a v5 and they told me that if I ever wanted to come back to NY, to let them know. Seems like it isn't rare to be able to get another offer...

However in a secondary market there are always concerns that your interests are elsewhere, and an applicant turning down my offer for an offer elsewhere would worry me if I were a legal recruiter in a market where most that are biglaw eligible leave.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:04 am

Personal anecdote: I turned down two offers at firms in the same market but had a great cb experience and kept in touch with attorneys from both firms throughout my decision process. When I didn't go with them, I sent an email explaining why I was going with the other firm and that it wasn't because I hadn't enjoyed my experience just thought I might have slightly different career interests. I was contacted by recruiting and a few of the recruiting people personally who were really encouraging and said something similar to what the other anon said regarding applying again in the future if my interests changed.

It's not exactly the same situation, but I hope it's pretty helpful. Intuitively I think you're in a good spot.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Personal anecdote: I turned down two offers at firms in the same market but had a great cb experience and kept in touch with attorneys from both firms throughout my decision process. When I didn't go with them, I sent an email explaining why I was going with the other firm and that it wasn't because I hadn't enjoyed my experience just thought I might have slightly different career interests. I was contacted by recruiting and a few of the recruiting people personally who were really encouraging and said something similar to what the other anon said regarding applying again in the future if my interests changed.

It's not exactly the same situation, but I hope it's pretty helpful. Intuitively I think you're in a good spot.

Thank you for sharing! This is very helpful.

Do you have any tips for staying in touch with attorneys during (and perhaps after) the decision process? It would be nice if they remember who I am if/when I reapply next year.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:23 pm

Just my personal experience with it:

When I told a V5 in NYC that I would be taking an offer from a firm in another market, they very much encouraged me to reach out if I decided that I wanted to come to NYC instead after spending the summer in the other market. While I decided to stay in the non-NYC market so I cannot say whether the V5 would have taken me back, fwiw I did touch base with one of the partners I really hit it off with in the early Fall and he asked if I had reconsidered coming to NYC.

Good luck OP!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:47 pm

At a V10 CB a few weeks ago, two of my four interviews were with people who turned down offers there and summered elsewhere, decided it was a mistake, and got hired on as 3Ls.

Return to “Legal Employment”