Paul Weiss v. Kirkland (NYC)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
lawrence1917

Paul Weiss v. Kirkland (NYC)

Postby lawrence1917 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:07 pm

undecided. i know how different the firms are in terms of culture (at least through word of mouth). any helpful insights? thanks.

lawrence1917

Re: Paul Weiss v. Kirkland (NYC)

Postby lawrence1917 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:15 pm

as a follow up: i'm very open minded about practice group, even to the point of still being unsure between litigation and corporate. i'm mostly concerned about the culture / people / atmosphere of a place. any remarks would be helpful. thanks.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:23 pm

PW for me

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:38 pm

Both have awesome cultures. I decided with Kirkland for practice area, but loved both.

Paul Weiss seems extremely nice but very hard working, while Kirkland is more "fratty." Paul Weiss associates share offices for the first year or two, I think. PW is notorious for spending tons of money on associates--lots of nice lunches downtown.

Kirkland has less of a facetime requirement--still necessary for the first couple years but eventually you can go home and do work from there (not so at PW, where I have heard of associates leaving in the early AM).

PW stronger in lit, Kirk in corporate. In specialty areas, they vary in terms of strength/type of work.

Kirkland people seem more "gunnery" and competitive, which probably stems from their compensation system (at the associate level in terms of bonuses, but also at the partner level) which leads to slightly different environments. This doesn't mean that PW associates don't work hard--it's biglaw NYC afterall. I think the culture at PW is more friendly overall, but Kirkland associates tend to be more social.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:45 pm

This is a very surface level impression, and full disclosure: I chose PW.

There were two main differences for me. First was the aggressiveness of the firms -- PW gave me the impression that everyone did the best work, and knew they were doing the best, but had this natural confidence about them whereas Kirkland prides itself in being very aggressive, take no prisoners kind of mindset. I want to win, but I didn't like the arrogance I felt when I visited Kirkland. And w/ PW, you just hear about their work naturally -- DOMA, Stop & Frisk, etc. But no one is really arrogant about it still.

Second kind of stems from the first, but Kirkland really promotes teamwork and collaboration. I'm sure PW has a lot of that as well, but it seemed like everyone I met there had really unique experiences, were exceptional in their own ways and they prided themselves on that diversity of experience. I didn't get a cookie cutter impression from PW, whereas I could see that at Kirkland.

I think if I was on the fence btwn corp and lit though, I'd look at Kirkland more seriously. I was pretty set on litigation so it was easy for me to pick PW.

Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg » Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:58 pm

I don't get why people are fixated between the two litigation practices being so different. They aren't. I get that one is band 1 and the other is band 2 (or three), but I can't remember. I don't think it really makes a difference (it's not like W&C vs K&E here).
The NYC office also gets and does a lot of high profile cases, like the fall out of the Facebook IPO, for example.

I'd look at fit here. I think both appeal to different personalities.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:10 pm

Go with interests/fit.

Return to “Legal Employment”