Offer contingencies

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Offer contingencies

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:08 pm

Offers are contingent upon a successful background check and education check. I was wondering what exactly they look at with the education check? Just that you attend the school and your grades? Do they check rank too? Do they check anything else?

thesealocust

Re: Offer contingencies

Postby thesealocust » Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Offers are contingent upon a successful background check and education check. I was wondering what exactly they look at with the education check? Just that you attend the school and your grades? Do they check rank too? Do they check anything else?

They'll probably check that you didn't lie in any application materials and have graduated from, or are enrolled at, the institutions you claimed to be. That's it. It's just CYA from the firm in case they find out you misrepresented something.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:47 pm

I don't want to hijack this thread, but I also have a question about this. What does the background check entail? Does anyone know if something like a suicide attempt several years ago for which the police were called, and an involuntary psychiatric hold, will pose a problem if the only diagnosis was depression, and this problem has been dealt with?

KidStuddi

Postby KidStuddi » Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I don't want to hijack this thread, but I also have a question about this. What does the background check entail? Does anyone know if something like a suicide attempt several years ago for which the police were called, and an involuntary psychiatric hold, will pose a problem if the only diagnosis was depression, and this problem has been dealt with?

Probably only if you were asked a relevant question about it and lied.
I can't imagine what kind of question would have required disclosing that though.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:34 pm

KidStuddi wrote:Probably only if you were asked a relevant question about it and lied.
I can't imagine what kind of question would have required disclosing that though.

Thanks. No one has asked anything about this (and I wouldn't lie if anyone did), and I'm aware that I'll have to disclose to the bar. But I'm very concerned that a background check will bring this to light, and that my offer may be revoked, just because it sounds really bad. I asked someone in OCS at my school about this, and he couldn't tell me anything.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Offers are contingent upon a successful background check and education check. I was wondering what exactly they look at with the education check? Just that you attend the school and your grades? Do they check rank too? Do they check anything else?

What does background check involve?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:09 pm

Didn't a SA at Cleary get kicked out of the class this past summer after they found out he had been charged with some sort of sexual infraction/misdemeanor/felony (I heard this through the grapevine, thus the lack of clarity) in college?

DildaMan

Postby DildaMan » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:44 am

Anonymous User wrote:

What does background check involve?

Contacting your previous employers to verify employment.
Contacting your previous schools to verify receipt of degree.
Criminal background check.
Some places check credit history, or contact your previous landlords etc. . .

Return to “Legal Employment”