NYC hiring: when is too late?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Hutz_and_Goodman

NYC hiring: when is too late?

Postby Hutz_and_Goodman » Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:48 pm

I'm confused about what is going on with NYC biglaw and unsure of how to direct my energies. I had two CBs there about a month ago with complete silence, and I was in town last week for another CB and wrote both places to say I'd love to meet with more attys/still interested and got no reply. Yesterday I read about the whole Kasowitz thing and I got a phone call to set up a screener interview with a NYC firm (meeting with one atty; absolutely not a cb). Is it possible that NYC hiring is in general slower this year with CBs and offers continuing deep into October? My expectation was that by this point almost everything would be taken but I'm thinking there's still hope.

gnuwheels

Re: NYC hiring: when is too late?

Postby gnuwheels » Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:54 pm

my impression was that NY hiring was FASTER than usual, if anything.

Hutz_and_Goodman

Postby Hutz_and_Goodman » Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:34 pm

gnuwheels wrote:my impression was that NY hiring was FASTER than usual, if anything.

I don't know anything about previous years. It seemed weird to me to get a screening interview that will take place during the last week of September. Both of the firms where I did a CB a month ago told me that there summer class last summer was larger than expected because more people accepted than they expected, but that they gave 100% offers. So I'm hoping that I haven't heard back because I am a backup candidate who could potentially get an offer depending on who accepts.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:17 pm

At my non NY T13 I know quite a bit of the people in our class going to NYC and to my knowledge no one received any CBs from OCI firms later than I think 4 days after their screeners and no one has received an offer any later than a week after their screener.

YMMV obviously, but I think NYC continues to run quick this year and even now is very much at the end of most firms cycles. It's still a very low time commitment to apply and follow up though and is definitely worth it to find the exception.

Hutz_and_Goodman

Postby Hutz_and_Goodman » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:At my non NY T13 I know quite a bit of the people in our class going to NYC and to my knowledge no one received any CBs from OCI firms later than I think 4 days after their screeners and no one has received an offer any later than a week after their screener.

YMMV obviously, but I think NYC continues to run quick this year and even now is very much at the end of most firms cycles. It's still a very low time commitment to apply and follow up though and is definitely worth it to find the exception.

I mentioned in OP that I have an NYC screener this Thursday, so some firms must still be hiring. I also did a callback a week ago today, and was told to expect a response this week.

rickgrimes69

Postby rickgrimes69 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:57 pm

NYC hiring is about 95% finished. The only spots left are the scraps.

Hutz_and_Goodman

Postby Hutz_and_Goodman » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:08 pm

rickgrimes69 wrote:NYC hiring is about 95% finished. The only spots left are the scraps.

What is the basis for this? Also what do you mean by scraps?

rickgrimes69

Postby rickgrimes69 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:45 pm

Hutz_and_Goodman wrote:
rickgrimes69 wrote:NYC hiring is about 95% finished. The only spots left are the scraps.

What is the basis for this? Also what do you mean by scraps?

Anecdotal, honestly. Not much movement lately. Scraps in just that there isn't much left (not necessarily undesirable positions).

Return to “Legal Employment”