Bingham NYC vs. Cravath vs. Dentons NYC

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Choose my firm!

Bingham NYC
7%
Cravath
83%
Dentons NYC
10%

Total votes: 30

Anonymous User

Bingham NYC vs. Cravath vs. Dentons NYC

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:03 am

I know this a strange set of three firms to be choosing between. Nevertheless, these are the three I'm choosing between. Primarily interested in litigation.

If you vote for Bingham or Dentons, please explain why.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

justinp

Re: Bingham NYC vs. Cravath vs. Dentons NYC

Postby justinp » Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:18 am

Either a) this is a troll thread or b) you need to give us some context as to why you are treating this as a serious decision.

I'm absolutely not saying that there's never any reason to go to Dentons or Bingham over Cravath, but it's going to be pretty circumstance dependent.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:20 am

justinp wrote:Either a) this is a troll thread or b) you need to give us some context as to why you are treating this as a serious decision.

I'm absolutely not saying that there's never any reason to go to Dentons or Bingham over Cravath, but it's going to be pretty circumstance dependent.

OP here. Not a troll thread. I'm interested in impressions regarding quality of life, etc, and whether there is anyone who would choose one of these firms over Cravath.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:16 am

Anonymous User wrote:OP here. Not a troll thread. I'm interested in impressions regarding quality of life, etc, and whether there is anyone who would choose one of these firms over Cravath.

Prefacing it with the fact that I didn't have a single one of these options, I wouldn't choose these firms over Cravath even though there are many firms I'd choose over Cravath.

Maybe that's foolish, though.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:19 am

I feel like I might have been crazy for choosing a V15 over Cravath. You would be crazy for choosing these firms over Cravath.

Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg » Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:34 am

Just go to Cravath, do two to three years there. Since you have no intent to stay longer, focus on gaining the experience you want and maintaining the quality of life you want, and then when you get pushed out, consider the many options you will have waiting for you (including Dentons and Bingham).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:17 pm

OP here. Just pointing out that I never sId I have no interview to stay longer than 3-4 years.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:28 pm

I've heard unsubstantiated rumors that Bingham is an unpleasant place to be an associate b/c of partner and billable hours drama. If I were thinking about summering there, I would make damn sure that those rumors are untrue. Dentons has had a flurry of recent merger activity and has an odd firm structure, which probably raises the risk of working there.

I'm not a fan of the whole firm ranking system (I chose a firm way down the vault rankings over v5 offers), but this is a case where Cravath is the obviously superior option for 99% of people facing this decision.

Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg » Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here. Just pointing out that I never sId I have no interview to stay longer than 3-4 years.

That might as well be your intent if you're seriously considering the other two firms for QoL reasons.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:10 pm

A family member summered at Bingham NYC. I can only give you my cousin's impressions, but ultimately it was not a positive experience. Said some of the other summers, along with her, were trying to transfer to the DC office instead, and they didn't hear back re: offers for post-grad until around Labor Day. Said during her mid-summer review, some of the attorneys hadn't filled out her evaluations yet bc they were away on vacation, and the partner who led all of the review meetings yelled at her and said it meant she hadn't done any work...he seemed to be a bad apple though, and had a reputation for yelling at the summers.

Again, this is just her experience, but it turned me off from it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:45 am

Anonymous User wrote:A family member summered at Bingham NYC....

You posted anon, but what you wrote makes it pretty obvious who your cousin is to anyone important at her firm. Not a good look to publish an opinion like this with such specific identifying info.

Anyway, it's pretty clear OP should pick Cravath and then switch to a more feel-good firm later in their career.

Edited in response to below
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:40 am

Anonymous User wrote:You posted anon, but what you wrote makes it pretty obvious who your cousin is to anyone important at her firm. Not a good look to publish an opinion like this with such specific identifying info.

and your solution is to quote it?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:51 pm

Cravath

Return to “Legal Employment”