Palo Alto COL Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Palo Alto COL

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:12 pm

How outrageous are living conditions in Palo Alto? I keep hearing horror stories that even with a 160k offer that the COL will have you living middle class. Is it really that bad? Is it smarter to just go to SoCal for better COL. SoCal being more like San Diego than LA

bk1

Diamond

Re: Palo Alto COL

Post by bk1 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:21 pm

It's expensive to live in Palo Alto. http://priceonomics.com/the-rise-of-bay ... nt-prices/

You can definitely live quite nicely on 160k in Palo Alto, it just depends on how much you are willing to put towards rent. Living "middle class" is an ambiguous and meaningless term. Even in Palo Alto, with 160k you will be living far better than most people in this country (even if you have substantial debt). Going to SD is not a good plan considering how few legal jobs exist in SD.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:31 pm

bk1 wrote:It's expensive to live in Palo Alto. http://priceonomics.com/the-rise-of-bay ... nt-prices/

You can definitely live quite nicely on 160k in Palo Alto, it just depends on how much you are willing to put towards rent. Living "middle class" is an ambiguous and meaningless term. Even in Palo Alto, with 160k you will be living far better than most people in this country (even if you have substantial debt). Going to SD is not a good plan considering how few legal jobs exist in SD.
I'm confused... http://www.averyindex.com/patent_city_b ... t=CA&sort=

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:46 pm

Are you looking to be a patent agent or a lawyer? Do you want to do patent pros, patent lit, or something else? I don't know about patent agents, but I can assure you that the number of big firm jobs in San Diego is quite small.

t-14orbust

Gold

Post by t-14orbust » Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:50 pm

bk1 wrote:Are you looking to be a patent agent or a lawyer? Do you want to do patent pros, patent lit, or something else? I don't know about patent agents, but I can assure you that the number of big firm jobs in San Diego is quite small.
Supposing one does land an entry level biglaw job in SD, would being pushed out 3-4 years later mean bye-bye SD?

edit: posted in LE forum on accident, again. Sorry

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:52 pm

To the extent there are BigLaw jobs in San Diego many of them are IP-related, but COL is not low by any means.
t-14orbust wrote:
bk1 wrote:Are you looking to be a patent agent or a lawyer? Do you want to do patent pros, patent lit, or something else? I don't know about patent agents, but I can assure you that the number of big firm jobs in San Diego is quite small.
Supposing one does land an entry level biglaw job in SD, would being pushed out 3-4 years later mean bye-bye SD?
There are plenty of companies in San Diego, many in the pharma/biotech sector. Many of the BigLaw people end up in house there.

t-14orbust

Gold

Post by t-14orbust » Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:55 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:To the extent there are BigLaw jobs in San Diego many of them are IP-related, but COL is not low by any means.
t-14orbust wrote:
There are plenty of companies in San Diego, many in the pharma/biotech sector. Many of the BigLaw people end up in house there.
Are you implying that SD is primarily IP focused, or was that just in reference to the OP's apparent IP bent. Thanks for responding to a lowly 0l.

If I'm just wasting everyone's time by asking questions that can easily be searched for, please let me know where I can find more info about the legal job market in SD/OC/LA. Thanks bros

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:56 pm

Yes, San Diego is definitely IP focused. It's not exclusively IP focused but I'd estimate that close to half the SA's in the city are IP.

OneMoreLawHopeful

Silver

Post by OneMoreLawHopeful » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
bk1 wrote:It's expensive to live in Palo Alto. http://priceonomics.com/the-rise-of-bay ... nt-prices/

That chart is very misleading because of the way Silicon Valley works. Palo Alto definitely has the highest concentration of law firms in Silicon Valley, but it by no means has all of the Silicon Valley jobs. Many major law firms have their Silicon Valley offices outside of Palo Alto. Off the top of my head, I know that Latham is in Menlo Park, DLA Piper is in East Palo Alto, and both Quinn and Weil are in Redwood City.

Silicon Valley is usually understood to encompass Palo Alto, Menlo Park, Redwood City, Sunnyvale, Mountainview, East Palo Alto, Cupertino, Santa Clara, and San Jose. If you total up the number of patent attorneys/agents in all of these locations and consider them as one market (which is accurate, they are all in the "Silicon Valley" market), you can see that it's something close to twice the size of the San Diego market - even if you're only considering patent work (which is all that the Avery Index Chart is examining).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:37 pm

OneMoreLawHopeful wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

That chart is very misleading because of the way Silicon Valley works. Palo Alto definitely has the highest concentration of law firms in Silicon Valley, but it by no means has all of the Silicon Valley jobs. Many major law firms have their Silicon Valley offices outside of Palo Alto. Off the top of my head, I know that Latham is in Menlo Park, DLA Piper is in East Palo Alto, and both Quinn and Weil are in Redwood City.

Silicon Valley is usually understood to encompass Palo Alto, Menlo Park, Redwood City, Sunnyvale, Mountainview, East Palo Alto, Cupertino, Santa Clara, and San Jose. If you total up the number of patent attorneys/agents in all of these locations and consider them as one market (which is accurate, they are all in the "Silicon Valley" market), you can see that it's something close to twice the size of the San Diego market - even if you're only considering patent work (which is all that the Avery Index Chart is examining).
I was more referring to the fact that San Diego was denoted a "small legal market" when in fact it is the largest single city. It may not be able to be compared to Silicon Valley, but it can be compared to LA and SF

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:38 pm

OneMoreLawHopeful wrote:That chart is very misleading because of the way Silicon Valley works. Palo Alto definitely has the highest concentration of law firms in Silicon Valley, but it by no means has all of the Silicon Valley jobs. Many major law firms have their Silicon Valley offices outside of Palo Alto. Off the top of my head, I know that Latham is in Menlo Park, DLA Piper is in East Palo Alto, and both Quinn and Weil are in Redwood City.

This is a good point, I didn't even look at the chart that close. Not to mention that SF is right next to SV as well.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I was more referring to the fact that San Diego was denoted a "small legal market" when in fact it is the largest single city. It may not be able to be compared to Silicon Valley, but it can be compared to LA and SF
It is a small legal market. It's just that SF and LA are less IP focused than SD.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:25 pm

Anyone know of any good "corporate housing" options for the summer in Palo Alto/SF? I am talking about a furnished place for 2-3 months.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

BearState

Bronze

Post by BearState » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone know of any good "corporate housing" options for the summer in Palo Alto/SF? I am talking about a furnished place for 2-3 months.
SLS students do a robust business in subletting furnished apartments over the summer.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:49 pm

Affording a home in SV is very tough. The attorneys at my big law firm in SV who are on the younger side commute from places like Fremont, Santa Clara, San Mateo, or Redwood City. Buying a place is on like a 10-year plan for them. One recently made partner told me he bought a place in Mountain View, but he describes it as small. You can expect to pay $2500 on average for a place to rent in Palo Alto (maybe $2000 for a studio or $3000 for a place that would fit a couple), but maybe my numbers are off a bit. But honestly, if you plan to work long hours, you can probably avoid some of the traffic jams to cheaper places farther away, like San Jose or Fremont.

ThinkNegative

New

Post by ThinkNegative » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:51 pm

BearState wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone know of any good "corporate housing" options for the summer in Palo Alto/SF? I am talking about a furnished place for 2-3 months.
SLS students do a robust business in subletting furnished apartments over the summer.
PM me in like 6 months, seriously

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”