Air Force JAG and marijuana charge

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Air Force JAG and marijuana charge

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:17 pm

Hi. I needed to post this anonymously other wise I'd be in the epic military law thread.... So back when I was a young dumb freshman in high school I was caught with a few grams of the sticky icky on school grounds. Now I did my community service and "drug rehab" course and as far as I know, the charge isn't on my record and my record is squeaky clean with no other arrests except for a few traffic tickets. I am getting ready to volunteer in the legal office at a base as an honors college senior ( my gpa is a 3.76) but I'm afraid this will hurt my chances at becoming a JAG. Is there any hope for me?

NotMyRealName09

Re: Air Force JAG and marijuana charge

Postby NotMyRealName09 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hi. I needed to post this anonymously other wise I'd be in the epic military law thread.... So back when I was a young dumb freshman in high school I was caught with a few grams of the sticky icky on school grounds. Now I did my community service and "drug rehab" course and as far as I know, the charge isn't on my record and my record is squeaky clean with no other arrests except for a few traffic tickets. I am getting ready to volunteer in the legal office at a base as an honors college senior ( my gpa is a 3.76) but I'm afraid this will hurt my chances at becoming a JAG. Is there any hope for me?

I don't know exactly, but I do know that when you apply to the air force you will have to disclose everything criminal related in your past - whether it shows up or not. They'll want records and will investigate. A drug crime probably needs a waiver signed off on. The feds know everything, whether you think it's on your record or not, it is, somewhere.

My basis for this is my ROTC intake experience in undergrad (never joined, however). I BET you'll be fine, but you know what? Just go talk to a JAG recruiter. You don't have to apply with them to ask them these questions, and they'll tell you straight up what to expect.

Young Marino

Postby Young Marino » Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:29 pm

NotMyRealName09 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Hi. I needed to post this anonymously other wise I'd be in the epic military law thread.... So back when I was a young dumb freshman in high school I was caught with a few grams of the sticky icky on school grounds. Now I did my community service and "drug rehab" course and as far as I know, the charge isn't on my record and my record is squeaky clean with no other arrests except for a few traffic tickets. I am getting ready to volunteer in the legal office at a base as an honors college senior ( my gpa is a 3.76) but I'm afraid this will hurt my chances at becoming a JAG. Is there any hope for me?

I don't know exactly, but I do know that when you apply to the air force you will have to disclose everything criminal related in your past - whether it shows up or not. They'll want records and will investigate. A drug crime probably needs a waiver signed off on. The feds know everything, whether you think it's on your record or not, it is, somewhere.

My basis for this is my ROTC intake experience in undergrad (never joined, however). I BET you'll be fine, but you know what? Just go talk to a JAG recruiter. You don't have to apply with them to ask them these questions, and they'll tell you straight up what to expect.

I did speak to one but as always I get the "we look at the whole person concept". All of the three I spoke to did say to disclose it though experimenting with weed won't disqualify me

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:02 pm

I saw on the application it asks of I have ever had any experimentation with it but it doesn't ask of I've ever been arrested for it. So I guess I'll say yea I've gotten high.

Return to “Legal Employment”