post acceptance gifts

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: post acceptance gifts

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:45 pm

Simpson Thacher sent out a nice gym bag.

smaug_

Postby smaug_ » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Yeah. My firm gave out nice wearable shit in addition to other shit and I still shuddered when I saw other people wearing their firm's swag to school. The guy/girl sitting next to you was next in line at the OCI screener and got rejected.

Wait until you get to your firm's market and then wear it on your jogs/at firm events (and at no other time ever). Jesus.

Maybe it depends on the school, but I don't understand the aversion to this. You know that people got jobs. I don't think anything when I see someone wearing a Weil fleece or with Skadden swag. It's not like wearing a sweatshirt is going OMG LOOK AT HOW MUCH BETTER I AM THAN YOU.

You're making a big deal out of a tiny thing. It's just a jacket, not some kind of personal attack.

mephistopheles

Postby mephistopheles » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:22 pm

hibiki wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Yeah. My firm gave out nice wearable shit in addition to other shit and I still shuddered when I saw other people wearing their firm's swag to school. The guy/girl sitting next to you was next in line at the OCI screener and got rejected.

Wait until you get to your firm's market and then wear it on your jogs/at firm events (and at no other time ever). Jesus.

Maybe it depends on the school, but I don't understand the aversion to this. You know that people got jobs. I don't think anything when I see someone wearing a Weil fleece or with Skadden swag. It's not like wearing a sweatshirt is going OMG LOOK AT HOW MUCH BETTER I AM THAN YOU.

You're making a big deal out of a tiny thing. It's just a jacket, not some kind of personal attack.

but people's feelings could be hurt, hibiki

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:36 pm

hibiki wrote:

It's a douchey thing to do.

NinerFan

Postby NinerFan » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:43 pm

Danger Zone wrote:
hibiki wrote:

It's a douchey thing to do.

Disagree. I see people from various professions and various companies wearing their company swag or even using shit they got from conferences or networking events and etc. What's the big deal? Especially for law firms. Joe schmoe on the street has no idea who Skadden or a Simpson or a Quinn Emanuel is... I wouldn't wear or use something just for the logo, but if it's something I find useful or is nice, not a big deal.

In law school, I used junk I collected from OCI all the time if I needed to. Flashdrive? A stain removing pen? Yeah, so what?

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:55 pm

Cool. You have the social awareness of a law student.

Postby 2014 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:15 pm

I regularly use a firm mug from a firm that I didn't even interview with, does this make me a bad person

NinerFan

Postby NinerFan » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:27 pm

Danger Zone wrote:Cool. You have the social awareness of a law student.

I see plenty of attorneys around the office using items with logos from other firms and other companies, so yeah, I'm not gonna sweat it.

I take it you don't own or use anything with a logo on it?

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:39 pm

NinerFan wrote:Joe schmoe on the street has no idea who Skadden or a Simpson or a Quinn Emanuel is

But isn't this the point? Law students know exactly what these names mean.

bigbirdfly

Postby bigbirdfly » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:43 pm

2014 wrote:I regularly use a firm mug from a firm that I didn't even interview with, does this make me a bad person

You should be fine, unless you're carrying around a SullCrom shoulder bag to gym, carrying a Cravath coffee mug to class, etc.

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:55 pm

NinerFan wrote:
Danger Zone wrote:Cool. You have the social awareness of a law student.

I see plenty of attorneys around the office using items with logos from other firms and other companies, so yeah, I'm not gonna sweat it.

That's not what we're talking about.

Postby 2014 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:04 pm

bigbirdfly wrote:
2014 wrote:I regularly use a firm mug from a firm that I didn't even interview with, does this make me a bad person

You should be fine, unless you're carrying around a SullCrom shoulder bag to gym, carrying a Cravath coffee mug to class, etc.

Ok good, I had to google but it is merely a V30 so hopefully that's ok

Jsa725

Postby Jsa725 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:10 pm

Last edited by Jsa725 on Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hichvichwoh

Postby hichvichwoh » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:11 pm

2014 wrote:
bigbirdfly wrote:

Ok good, I had to google but it is merely a V30 so hopefully that's ok

on this note, what's the vault ranking cutoff for wearable swag?

goldeneye

Postby goldeneye » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:12 pm

The fact that attorneys use logo stuff is completely irrelevant. We're talking about wearing stuff that indicates you were one of the "lucky ones". It's just unnecessary.

lawstudent_87

Postby lawstudent_87 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:22 pm

user outed for anon abuse

goldeneye

Postby goldeneye » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:26 pm

Exceptional use of anonymous feature. The idea is that you are sensitive of your classmates who likely don't have anything lined up and are stressing about it. Humility. You have lots of other shirts to wear.

AntipodeanPhil

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:52 pm

hichvichwoh wrote:on this note, what's the vault ranking cutoff for wearable swag?

It's actually a formula:

Cutoff = (YSUSNR x 6) + 10

Where 'YSUNR' = Your School's US News Ranking

smaug_

Postby smaug_ » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:56 pm

goldeneye wrote:Exceptional use of anonymous feature. The idea is that you are sensitive of your classmates who likely don't have anything lined up and are stressing about it. Humility. You have lots of other shirts to wear.

It's an asinine line of thought. What doesn't remind someone that they don't have a job lined up in law school? I really don't understand the CONE OF SILENCE about jobs at a T14. I want to know where my classmates are going. If someone doesn't have something lined up I want to buy them a drink. There's nothing to brag about in terms of "succeeding" and getting firm swag. There's no shame in not having it either. I don't see someone driving a Land Rover and think "That dude is not humble!"

You're surrounded by indicia of wealth and success everyday. If your tiny pink ego is really that hurt by seeing the word SKADDEN on a jacket, I don't know what to say to you.

This might be different at a school where most people are struggling so it is a form of bragging. Here I wouldn't think anything of it.

ETA: and I say this as someone who will not wear any firm swag. I just want to emphasize that my decision in doing so is not because I'm worried about someone losing it over seeing a firm's name in a law school.
Last edited by smaug_ on Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

gchatbrah

Postby gchatbrah » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:00 am

hibiki wrote:
goldeneye wrote:Exceptional use of anonymous feature. The idea is that you are sensitive of your classmates who likely don't have anything lined up and are stressing about it. Humility. You have lots of other shirts to wear.

It's an asinine line of thought. What doesn't remind someone that they don't have a job lined up in law school? I really don't understand the CONE OF SILENCE about jobs at a T14. I want to know where my classmates are going. If someone doesn't have something lined up I want to buy them a drink. There's nothing to brag about in terms of "succeeding" and getting firm swag. There's no shame in not having it either. I don't seem someone driving a Land Rover and think "That dude is not humble!"

You're surrounded by indicia of wealth and success everyday. If your tiny pink ego is really that hurt by seeing the word SKADDEN on a jacket, I don't know what to say to you.

This might be different at a school where most people are struggling so it is a form of bragging. Here I wouldn't think anything of it.

ETA: and I say this as someone who will not wear any firm swag. I just want to emphasize that my decision in doing so is not because I'm worried about someone losing it over seeing a firm's name in a law school.

+1000

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:21 am

hibiki wrote:It's an asinine line of thought. What doesn't remind someone that they don't have a job lined up in law school? I really don't understand the CONE OF SILENCE about jobs at a T14. I want to know where my classmates are going. If someone doesn't have something lined up I want to buy them a drink. There's nothing to brag about in terms of "succeeding" and getting firm swag. There's no shame in not having it either. I don't see someone driving a Land Rover and think "That dude is not humble!"

I get your point, but have you read the Vale thread? Just because you don't think people should feel ashamed for not getting a firm job (and hence swag), people still feel ashamed of it. I get the point that there shouldn't be a need to walk around everyone on eggshells based on their employment status, but there's a big difference between "I don't want to wear firm swag because I don't want to push my job in the face of people who don't have jobs," and "I don't want to wear firm swag because I think the jobless person next to me in class will have a meltdown and run screaming from the room." Of course they're not going to do that.

I mean, I think wearing firm swag is kinda douchey even if everyone in your entire class has jobs, because I don't see any point in wearing the stuff besides saying "I want everyone to know where I'm working!!!!," and I think advertising is kinda tacky. It's just that saying "I want everyone to know where I'm working!!!!" seems especially tacky in front of people who'd kill to work where you're working (it's like advertising for Range Rovers in the projects or something).

(but I went to a school where biglaw was a pretty rare outcome. I spent most of the 3L having no idea what most of my classmates were doing, job-wise, because you didn't want to be the person starting this conversation: "So, what are you doing after graduation?" "I don't have anything lined up yet. What about you?" "I have a biglaw job/clerkship." "Oh." <crickets>)

smaug_

Postby smaug_ » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:55 am

I think it might be really school dependent. If someone tried to play off a big law/big law swag as anything here it would be pretty :roll: .

When I see someone wearing firm stuff I think "cheap" (or "thrifty" if it's something nice) not "douche." To me, judging someone for wearing the firm swag is about the same as judging someone else's clothes generally. Yeah, you probably do it to an extent/you have an opinion, but it's not something to lose your shit over.

Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg » Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:41 am

Just use your judgment. If you find that you still can't arrive at a clear answer, take a class or lesson on social awareness (aka not having asperger's) so that you're not no-offered as a summer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:43 am

I got a jacket from my firm after the summer. I definitely thought twice about wearing it to school, but I did it because I don't have the money to buy other outerwear right now and it's really practical. I also noticed others in my school bringing things like bags with their firms' name on it.

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:46 am

zweitbester wrote:Just use your judgment. If you find that you still can't arrive at a clear answer, take a class or lesson on social awareness (aka not having asperger's) so that you're not no-offered as a summer.

Doesn't this assume that they even have the awareness to realize they have poor judgment

Return to “Legal Employment”