post acceptance gifts Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
thesealocust

Platinum

Re: post acceptance gifts

Post by thesealocust » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:52 am

Danger Zone wrote:
zweitbester wrote:Just use your judgment. If you find that you still can't arrive at a clear answer, take a class or lesson on social awareness (aka not having asperger's) so that you're not no-offered as a summer.
Doesn't this assume that they even have the awareness to realize they have poor judgment
^ seems to be a big issue ITT.

Fundamental rule of social interaction: sometimes illogical and/or irrational choices are also often still correct and socially pleasant ones. Decorum gives no fucks about RIGOROUS LOGICALLY COHERENT ARGUMENTS because it's about dealing with sensitivities, unwritten norms and latent emotions.

SouthernGent

New

Post by SouthernGent » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:00 am

Come on guys... Either wear the stuff or don't--it's really not that big of a deal. And that debate was not the topic of this forum, i.e., the topic is whether your firm is sending out shwag and what that shwag is... Can we go back to that, please..?

anon919

New

Post by anon919 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:58 pm

Got a yearlong subscription to the WSJ. I found that pretty thoughtful and useful.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:01 pm

anon919 wrote:Got a yearlong subscription to the WSJ. I found that pretty thoughtful and useful.
That's brilliant. Way to go firm.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:14 pm

Thought I'd weigh in on the firm swag issue from the pov of the great unwashed unemployed. If I see someone wearing a firm fleece, I don't think they're being purposely braggy or douchey, and don't think any worse of them, but it does make me feel incrementally shittier about myself. Obviously that's my problem, not the fleece-wearer's, and they're under no obligation to fix it. But it'd be nice to think that some people still care about how even 100% innocent behavior makes others feel, and adjust accordingly.

Using travel mugs/highlighters/laptop cases/water bottles/etc. with firm names? Unless every single item they pull out of their backpack has one logo it, even I don't give a shit. They could have gotten it all at a campus event or in a screener. I have plenty of small firm swag myself.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

anon919

New

Post by anon919 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Thought I'd weigh in on the firm swag issue from the pov of the great unwashed unemployed. If I see someone wearing a firm fleece, I don't think they're being purposely braggy or douchey, and don't think any worse of them, but it does make me feel incrementally shittier about myself. Obviously that's my problem, not the fleece-wearer's, and they're under no obligation to fix it. But it'd be nice to think that some people still care about how even 100% innocent behavior makes others feel, and adjust accordingly.

Using travel mugs/highlighters/laptop cases/water bottles/etc. with firm names? Unless every single item they pull out of their backpack has one logo it, even I don't give a shit. They could have gotten it all at a campus event or in a screener. I have plenty of small firm swag myself.
Hence, why I keep the firm apparel at home. I might not feel like a douche for wearing it but I'm mindful of the fact that it becomes an unpleasant reminder for some of their current employment situation.

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:07 pm

Out of curiosity, does the calculus change as a 3L to you guys who think it's a bad idea? I know this thread is largely about gifts given to 2Ls, and there are a lot of 2Ls who are still looking for jobs and I get being sensitive to that because the process sucks. However, post 2L summer, at least at my school, everyone knows where everyone worked as in CSO sends out an excel sheet with the information. If that is the case and you already know some bro worked at Kirkland, why should it matter if they wear a fleece that says as much?

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:29 pm

2014 wrote:Out of curiosity, does the calculus change as a 3L to you guys who think it's a bad idea? I know this thread is largely about gifts given to 2Ls, and there are a lot of 2Ls who are still looking for jobs and I get being sensitive to that because the process sucks. However, post 2L summer, at least at my school, everyone knows where everyone worked as in CSO sends out an excel sheet with the information. If that is the case and you already know some bro worked at Kirkland, why should it matter if they wear a fleece that says as much?
If you have to ask, there is no hope in explaining it to you.

Expected positive value to wearer of firm swag: 0, under any circumstances, ever, for any reason.

Expected negative value to wearer of firm swag as a result of other people's perceptions: potentially above 0

Expected negative value to other people who may be in a sensitive position with respect to their job hunt upon seeing the wearer of firm swag: potentially above 0

RIGOROUS ANALYTICAL CONCLUSION BASED ON PRINCIPALS OF ECONOMIC ANALYSIS: Oh my god I hate everyone on this planet. Reading TLS literally doubles the number of times I pray for death every day.

Why God, why.

goldeneye

Silver

Post by goldeneye » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:56 pm

thesealocust wrote:
2014 wrote:Out of curiosity, does the calculus change as a 3L to you guys who think it's a bad idea? I know this thread is largely about gifts given to 2Ls, and there are a lot of 2Ls who are still looking for jobs and I get being sensitive to that because the process sucks. However, post 2L summer, at least at my school, everyone knows where everyone worked as in CSO sends out an excel sheet with the information. If that is the case and you already know some bro worked at Kirkland, why should it matter if they wear a fleece that says as much?

Expected positive value to wearer of firm swag: 0, under any circumstances, ever, for any reason.

Expected negative value to wearer of firm swag as a result of other people's perceptions: potentially above 0

Expected negative value to other people who may be in a sensitive position with respect to their job hunt upon seeing the wearer of firm swag: potentially above 0

RIGOROUS ANALYTICAL CONCLUSION BASED ON PRINCIPALS OF ECONOMIC ANALYSIS: Oh my god I hate everyone on this planet. Reading TLS literally doubles the number of times I pray for death every day.

Why God, why.
Thank you. Why is this so difficult for people to understand? Self-awareness is all that is required.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:14 pm

thesealocust wrote:

Why God, why.
:lol:

kwais

Gold

Post by kwais » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:32 pm

thesealocust wrote:

Why God, why.
This just sounds crazy. You sound mad which I think really highlights the irrationality of this argument. It is just not ok to validate peoples temporary and feeble belief that "other people's successes and outward manifestations thereof are ABOUT ME." We are not talking about kicking an old lady when she falls on the street. We are talking about mostly privileged (in the grand scheme) adults who made a very deliberate decision to take on a big time, competitive endeavor. They hoped that that endeavor would have big rewards and, more importantly, knew it would have big rewards for some in their class. It did not have the reward they hoped for. This does not mean that those who wear a firm sweatshirt are lacking in self-awareness and decorum. The onus is 100% on those who are disappointed to take their disappointment and bounce back. So many people are advocating a defeatist, weak-willed attitude. And to be clear, it is not defeatist or weak-willed to be depressed by a sub-par job outcome, but it is inexcusable to give one second of shits about what someone else is wearing, writing with or sipping coffee from.

goldeneye

Silver

Post by goldeneye » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:44 pm

This just sounds crazy. You sound mad which I think really highlights the irrationality of this argument. It is just not ok to validate peoples temporary and feeble belief that "other people's successes and outward manifestations thereof are ABOUT ME." We are not talking about kicking an old lady when she falls on the street. We are talking about mostly privileged (in the grand scheme) adults who made a very deliberate decision to take on a big time, competitive endeavor. They hoped that that endeavor would have big rewards and, more importantly, knew it would have big rewards for some in their class. It did not have the reward they hoped for. This does not mean that those who wear a firm sweatshirt are lacking in self-awareness and decorum. The onus is 100% on those who are disappointed to take their disappointment and bounce back. So many people are advocating a defeatist, weak-willed attitude. And to be clear, it is not defeatist or weak-willed to be depressed by a sub-par job outcome, but it is inexcusable to give one second of shits about what someone else is wearing, writing with or sipping coffee from.
jesus f. go look at the vale thread. getting a job and not getting a job isn't about "bouncing back". This is about having the decency to understand that, maybe for one day, a person without a job won't have to be reminded of the fact because you just had to wear your fleece with the firm name on it. Wear it to Starbucks, wear it to the movies. Life will go on if you don't wear it at school.

goldeneye

Silver

Post by goldeneye » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

jesus f. go look at the vale thread. getting a job and not getting a job isn't about "bouncing back". This is about having the decency to understand that, maybe for one day, a person without a job won't have to be reminded of the fact because you just had to wear your fleece with the firm name on it. Wear it to Starbucks, wear it to the movies. Life will go on if you don't wear it at school.
Accidental anon. That was me.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

kwais

Gold

Post by kwais » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

I've read the Vale and I have a lot of sympathy for those who are struggling and a lot of admiration for what I have seen there (encouragement, honesty, sharing good advice, even the venting). This is different. And you are assuming that the person wearing the fleece somehow "needs to wear it." That's no more rational that thinking someone NEEDED to wear blue jeans instead of khakis. No, it's clean, they own it. End of story.

Magnifique1908

Silver

Post by Magnifique1908 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:54 pm

How about everyone grow the f up and do whatever the f they want to do and quit asking other aspie law students what you should do about your own aspie urges.

As one of the fortunate few with a job lined up, I don't wear firm crap because I have better things to do (and I think its dumb) but if it rains and all I have in my trunk is a firm umbrella.....guess what I'm going to do and guess how many f's I'm going to give about what other people think? Am I going to take a selfie in the rain and post it on FB? No. But am I going to use it. Damn right. I do give the side eye to a few that I've seen do it at my school but that's mostly because they took a group photo in class and posted it on FB. That is just weird and dumb. It still doesn't stay on my mind longer than 2 seconds. Lol. Seriously, what happened to being normal adults. Let it go.

Then get back to the topic of this thread. Kthx.

:lol:

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:40 pm

kwais wrote:
thesealocust wrote:

Why God, why.
I don't understand how to operate amongst humans. I wish that I did and I understand it is a failing :(
I guess it's at least good to realize and accept these things. Good on you for that much!

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:50 pm

thesealocust wrote:
kwais wrote:
thesealocust wrote:

Why God, why.
I don't understand how to operate amongst humans. I wish that I did and I understand it is a failing :(
I guess it's at least good to realize and accept these things. Good on you for that much!
This line of posts is why you're my favorite poster.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

anon919

New

Post by anon919 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:14 am

This thread took a nose dive. :roll:

brotherdarkness

Gold

Post by brotherdarkness » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:07 pm

Last edited by brotherdarkness on Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:04 pm

brotherdarkness wrote:Wait, so does this mean I should stop carrying my bonsai tree around the law school?
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:20 pm

Anyone know if Paul Hastings sends anything?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

BuckinghamB

Bronze

Post by BuckinghamB » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:16 pm

thesealocust wrote:
brotherdarkness wrote:Wait, so does this mean I should stop carrying my bonsai tree around the law school?
:lol: :lol: :lol:
+1

But seriously, just wear a normal fucking sweatshirt instead of a Cravath fleece to school. It's not that hard, and like TSL said, it causes zero inconvenience to you. Exception might be the umbrella example another poster mentioned.

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:23 pm

how about if you wear the swag of MULTIPLE firms at once!!! you put yourself forward as thrifty, a law firm enthusiast, without signaling the firm you are summering at, if at all! maybe you just cruised OCI stealing attorney wear? what IF you got it at a costume store, it is, after all, almost halloween.

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:26 pm

Honestly if you think it's cool to wear a hoodie that says Skadden on it or whatever, then do whatever you want, you're past saving.

NinerFan

Bronze

Post by NinerFan » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:48 pm

:roll: Oh, law school. I was thinking real life. I work for one firm and use some stuff I've received from other firms. Other people in the office do the same. Doing this in law school is probably not a good idea.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”