How to ask for feedback after being dinged post-CB?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273153
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

How to ask for feedback after being dinged post-CB?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:42 pm

Another OCI strike-out here. I was just dinged from my final CB. I've been mass-mailing and doing anything and everything to help me find something for this coming summer, but, because my grades are solid and my mock interviews have all gone well, I'd like to figure out exactly why it is that employers are dinging me so that I don't continue making the same mistakes.

I spoke to one of the career services counselors and he offered to contact one of the firms and ask for some feedback as to why an offer wasn't extended to me. Is this something I need him to do, or can I ask this most recent ding for some feedback? Has anyone here done this and, if so, how did you ask?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273153
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: How to ask for feedback after being dinged post-CB?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Another OCI strike-out here. I was just dinged from my final CB. I've been mass-mailing and doing anything and everything to help me find something for this coming summer, but, because my grades are solid and my mock interviews have all gone well, I'd like to figure out exactly why it is that employers are dinging me so that I don't continue making the same mistakes.

I spoke to one of the career services counselors and he offered to contact one of the firms and ask for some feedback as to why an offer wasn't extended to me. Is this something I need him to do, or can I ask this most recent ding for some feedback? Has anyone here done this and, if so, how did you ask?


My career office told me to just straight up email them. Some have gotten back to me, some have even called me. Others have ignored me to this point or given me very generic responses.

What's your school? I too had solid grades and positive responses in all my practice interviews and I've struck out. Add the Kasowitz debacle into the mix, and it looks like it's been a terrible year with no signs of improvement in the near future.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273153
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: How to ask for feedback after being dinged post-CB?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Another OCI strike-out here. I was just dinged from my final CB. I've been mass-mailing and doing anything and everything to help me find something for this coming summer, but, because my grades are solid and my mock interviews have all gone well, I'd like to figure out exactly why it is that employers are dinging me so that I don't continue making the same mistakes.

I spoke to one of the career services counselors and he offered to contact one of the firms and ask for some feedback as to why an offer wasn't extended to me. Is this something I need him to do, or can I ask this most recent ding for some feedback? Has anyone here done this and, if so, how did you ask?


My career office told me to just straight up email them. Some have gotten back to me, some have even called me. Others have ignored me to this point or given me very generic responses.

What's your school? I too had solid grades and positive responses in all my practice interviews and I've struck out. Add the Kasowitz debacle into the mix, and it looks like it's been a terrible year with no signs of improvement in the near future.


Thanks for the response. I sent an email asking for feedback, so hopefully they provide me with something. I'm a transfer student at school in the middle of the T14. I was at the top of my class at a T50.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273153
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: How to ask for feedback after being dinged post-CB?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:48 pm

I just e-mailed saying "I really enjoyed meeting everyone at the firm (etc.). I'm writing to ask if you can provide any constructive criticism or feedback as I continue my job search. Thank you very much." They got back to me. Good luck to you, I'm also still hustling and I hope we all make it out with good jobs.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273153
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: How to ask for feedback after being dinged post-CB?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I just e-mailed saying "I really enjoyed meeting everyone at the firm (etc.). I'm writing to ask if you can provide any constructive criticism or feedback as I continue my job search. Thank you very much." They got back to me. Good luck to you, I'm also still hustling and I hope we all make it out with good jobs.


Whom did you email? Hiring partner? Person you connected with during interview? Did they say anything worthwhile, or was it pretty generic?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273153
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: How to ask for feedback after being dinged post-CB?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:26 pm

Okay, so I just fired off one of these emails today and the feedback I received was that I was an outstanding candidate, interviewed very well, and had a perfect resume, but they had a limited summer class size and chose individuals who they felt had a better "fit" with the firm. In other words, they just didn't like me.

Hutz_and_Goodman
Posts: 1413
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:42 am

Re: How to ask for feedback after being dinged post-CB?

Postby Hutz_and_Goodman » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:32 pm

I sent one if these emails yesterday. I haven't heard back. I got dinged by firm where interviews went amazingly well and I'm hoping to get constructive criticism.

User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 15470
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: How to ask for feedback after being dinged post-CB?

Postby Tiago Splitter » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Okay, so I just fired off one of these emails today and the feedback I received was that I was an outstanding candidate, interviewed very well, and had a perfect resume, but they had a limited summer class size and chose individuals who they felt had a better "fit" with the firm. In other words, they just didn't like me.

There is absolutely nothing you can take from that, so please don't read anything into it or beat yourself up. That's as generic a response as they can give.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.