Baron & Budd

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Baron & Budd

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:36 am

Anyone know what it's like to work for Baron & Budd? Thanks.

Anonymous User

Re: Baron & Budd

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone know what it's like to work for Baron & Budd? Thanks.

You will get a ton of litigation experience, but the partners have huge expectations and there is a steep learning curve. Some partners are easier to work with than others, so you will have goods days and bad. The firm has a very casual dress policy and is not very stuffy, but it will be hard to deal with the attorneys and "office politics" there if you don't have a type-A personality.

The pay can also be frustrating, especially considering the amount of hours you are working. The firm demands great grades from top schools, but don't pay as well as the big firms in Dallas. They say that the bonuses will make up for the discrepancy, but I several associates have left because of these false promises. The partners are definitely banking, but they are not as generous with rewarding their associates as they used to.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:11 pm

Thanks for the reply. Are the offices nice? What kind of hours does a 1st yr work? I have absolutely no clue what B&B pays 1st years - mind sharing? Also, what kind of bonuses? Thanks again.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Thanks for the reply. Are the offices nice? What kind of hours does a 1st yr work? I have absolutely no clue what B&B pays 1st years - mind sharing? Also, what kind of bonuses? Thanks again.

The Dallas offices are being remodeled, but the building is rather dated. The location is great. There are no billables, so it will be hard to compare to traditional big law firms, but you will probably work 60-70 hours a week (more if there is a trial). There is also a lot of travel.

I can't tell you exactly what the salary or bonuses are, as they are very blackbox. I think they start in the $110K-130K range. Your bonus will depend on how the firm does that year, which is never consistent.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:12 pm

Great, thanks. Do you have any clue what the summer program is like? Also, when people talk about plaintiff side bonuses I don't know if they mean $100 or $100,000. I'm assuming it's not finance/consulting-esque bonuses... but I'm not really sure. Can you give a very rough estimate?

Finally, is the work interesting? Do you feel like you're doing something worth while?

Thanks again for the help. I'm flying blind when it comes to big plaintiff firms and haven't been able to learn much.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Great, thanks. Do you have any clue what the summer program is like? Also, when people talk about plaintiff side bonuses I don't know if they mean $100 or $100,000. I'm assuming it's not finance/consulting-esque bonuses... but I'm not really sure. Can you give a very rough estimate?

Finally, is the work interesting? Do you feel like you're doing something worth while?

Thanks again for the help. I'm flying blind when it comes to big plaintiff firms and haven't been able to learn much.

There will probably be only one summer associate for each half of the summer. They don't have a formal summer program, so it will depend on what cases are going. The firm has its own plane and the firm will usually fly the summer associate to a trial or deposition if it is out of state. The summer associate might also visit the firm's offices in Miami and Beverly Hills, but there is no guarantee. Other than that, it will be work - writing briefs/memos, researching, and prepping for trials/depos.

The firm operates as a black box. They discourage the sharing of compensation and bonuses. I've heard of some associates only getting $5K and others getting $30K, but all is based on hearsay and speculation. Unless you are working on a case that scored a million-dollar "real" settlement, I don't think you will be happy with your bonuses. Even then, I don't think you can expect bonuses similar to firms like Susman, Coleman Yetter, or McKool Smith. Based on my observations, most associates are unhappy with their total compensation relative to the hours worked and relative to the compensation they can receive at other firms.

Return to “Legal Employment”