What's the timeline for informational interviews w/ alumni?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

What's the timeline for informational interviews w/ alumni?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:01 am

Sorry if this is a stupid question but I don't really understand where informational interviews/reaching out (where you hit up an alum at the firm and ask them about their job) fall within the timeline of OCI and mass mailing.

I know that you would ideally contact alumni before you did your screener interview. However, I had a screener today and I was told that I would hear back in about 2 weeks. So can I email alumni at the firm during this time to ask them about their practice areas and such or is that overkill since I already had the screener?

I have the same question for mass mailing: can I contact people at the firm after I send in my mass mailing materials?

Edited for typos

Anonymous User

Re: What's the timeline for informational interviews w/ alumni?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Sorry if this is a stupid question but I don't really understand where informational interviews/reaching out (where you hit up an alum at the firm and ask them about their job) fall within the timeline of OCI and mass mailing.

I know that you would ideally contact alumni before you did your screener interview. However, I had a screener today and I was told that I would hear back in about 2 weeks. So can I email alumni at the firm during this time to ask them about their practice areas and such or is that overkill since I already had the screener?

I have the same question for mass mailing: can I contact people at the firm after I send in my mass mailing materials?

Edited for typos

I networked from long before 2L OCI. However, I generally contact alumni or other contacts I've met after mass mailing a firm. I've contacted some between screener and CB, but that hasn't gone great. I think you can do it, but depending on the firm, they might not respond. If you haven't had a chance for a CB, I'd say do it - say you had a screener with the firm and are really interested, so you were hoping they might have some time to discuss the firm and their career with you. After scheduling a CB is a little more iffy but probably worth a try.

Anonymous User

Re: What's the timeline for informational interviews w/ alumni?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:15 pm

The Career Services office at my school actually told us not to contract alumni at the firm until you've done a callback. They said that doing a screener and then trying to network with the attorneys at the firm before you know if you're getting a callback or not could come off as obvious (as in you're obviously talking to the attys to see if they can push for a callback for you). They suggested waiting until after the callback to contact alumni.

Return to “Legal Employment”