Interviewing with no ties

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Interviewing with no ties

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:20 am

I was looking around the website but couldn't find an answer to this question. I have an interview I got through mass mailing, and I have absolutely no ties to the city the firm is located in. No family, no friends, never been there, never been even close. Any suggestions on what to say when asked the "why this city" question?

Tiago Splitter

Re: Interviewing with no ties

Postby Tiago Splitter » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:55 am

What city is it?

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:32 am

Find redeeming qualities, things you might like about the city. Then again, what do I know, I had two of these interviews and struck out on both.

Lwoods

Postby Lwoods » Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:41 am

Think about why firms like ties: because they want reassurance you'll actually live there.

So, take from your own experiences to build your strongest argument why you would move there for a good job. This could include things that you like about the city, but you should maybe tie those qualities to other cities you've lived in before...or contrast with cities you want to leave. Have you moved for a job before? If so, talk about that. Is there a reason you don't want to go where you do have ties? For example, I grew up in a smaller city, and the only types of law practiced there are criminal and personal injury, for the most part.

Make a strong case, acknowledge their concern as valid, but find genuine reasons why you would move there, provided you like the firm, of course.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:42 am

Focus on cost of living, quality of life, and substantive experience. I have no idea if its actually true, but literally all the interviews I had outside of NYC talked about how associates learn more earlier because there is less leverage. If its a firm with a low partner/associate ratio, I would also say that you want a firm where you can make an entire career, instead of spending two or three years.

Return to “Legal Employment”