Struck out at OCI, what's the best course of action?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
lolwat

Re: Struck out at OCI, what's the best course of action?

Postby lolwat » Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
wiz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Struck out at OCI. Just above median at lower T14 (like "just above" matters). Should I only be MMing secondary markets?

Mass mail everywhere. Job > no job.

It's hard for me to mass mail because from what I've read, you're only supposed to apply to firms with practices you can demonstrate an interest in. Isn't the cover letter supposed to tie your experience/interests/etc with the firm's practice areas? What do you do when you have nothing in your transcript or work experience to show that you have the slightest interest in what the firm does?

Huh? Unless you're coming in with like X years of experience and/or have a technical background and have a very good reason for only being interested in one particular field or another, all you should know right now (if anything) is whether you have any leaning towards litigation or corporate.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:34 pm

lolwat wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
wiz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Struck out at OCI. Just above median at lower T14 (like "just above" matters). Should I only be MMing secondary markets?

Mass mail everywhere. Job > no job.

It's hard for me to mass mail because from what I've read, you're only supposed to apply to firms with practices you can demonstrate an interest in. Isn't the cover letter supposed to tie your experience/interests/etc with the firm's practice areas? What do you do when you have nothing in your transcript or work experience to show that you have the slightest interest in what the firm does?

Huh? Unless you're coming in with like X years of experience and/or have a technical background and have a very good reason for only being interested in one particular field or another, all you should know right now (if anything) is whether you have any leaning towards litigation or corporate.

That's a lot less detail than this guide suggests.

lolwat

Postby lolwat » Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:That's a lot less detail than this guide suggests.

IMO, unless you have a legitimate connection to a particular practice area, that particular piece of advice is pretty useless. It's telling you to target places that you have some connection to--basically, the same reason that you would apply to firms in cities where you have ties (where you grew up, where you have family, etc.).

I happen to disagree with focusing on practice areas, personally. Generally speaking, locking yourself into specific practice areas this early can actually be a negative. What if that particular practice group at the firm isn't hiring, but some other practice you were also probably interested in is?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:03 pm

lolwat wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:That's a lot less detail than this guide suggests.

IMO, unless you have a legitimate connection to a particular practice area, that particular piece of advice is pretty useless. It's telling you to target places that you have some connection to--basically, the same reason that you would apply to firms in cities where you have ties (where you grew up, where you have family, etc.).

I happen to disagree with focusing on practice areas, personally. Generally speaking, locking yourself into specific practice areas this early can actually be a negative. What if that particular practice group at the firm isn't hiring, but some other practice you were also probably interested in is?

And I'm inclined to agree with that because it makes more sense. But every resource I have found suggests otherwise.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:51 pm

ImNoScar wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Just keep mailing. Ignore those "sorry we're done" letters. Firms will often bring you in for a callback after sending those. I got 4 callbacks out of 200 mails.

And follow up on your mass mails. I found this to be the way to make them most effective. Two weeks or so after you send them, send them another email on your original message chain, and tell them that they are a top choice and you are very much interested in their firm. It makes your mails seem a lot more targeted and less scattershot.

Do you have a sample of the email you sent to follow up?

lgleye

Postby lgleye » Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
ImNoScar wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Just keep mailing. Ignore those "sorry we're done" letters. Firms will often bring you in for a callback after sending those. I got 4 callbacks out of 200 mails.

And follow up on your mass mails. I found this to be the way to make them most effective. Two weeks or so after you send them, send them another email on your original message chain, and tell them that they are a top choice and you are very much interested in their firm. It makes your mails seem a lot more targeted and less scattershot.

Do you have a sample of the email you sent to follow up?

Jesus, if you have to ask for that, no wonder you're fucked.

user outed for anon abuse

Pokemon

Postby Pokemon » Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:06 am

Good luck OP.

Generally, I recommend creating a number of formats. Then merely change names.

1) The New York Format.
2) The Ties Format.
3) The Region where your School is Located Format.

If you are IP, have a particular practice focus (something that you have a narrative on--not just "I like litigation"), then you can add that as long as the firm is known for it. Finally, again if you have a practice focus, look at Chambers & Partners and create a specific practice based format and send it without a geographic limitation.

Return to “Legal Employment”