Reason to Delay Offer Acceptance?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Reason to Delay Offer Acceptance?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:34 pm

Is there any reason to delay accepting an offer from a firm that you believe you will inevitably choose? Have heard back from all firms that I interviewed with at this point (have two offers). It's only been a week so I have time, but I'm wondering if there's any incentive to waiting?

One bonus I can think of is that some firms get higher yields than they anticipated on offers, but only want to hire a certain number (increasing the chance of no-offers at the end of the summer.) Then again if I accept now then they can consider that before extending further offers.

Tiago Splitter

Re: Reason to Delay Offer Acceptance?

Postby Tiago Splitter » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:48 pm

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=195524

I don't see any advantage in waiting if you have no chance of getting more offers, and there is a tiny chance that the firm may have a higher yield than expected and attempt a soft pull of your offer, as discussed in the linked thread.

You should obviously wait if you might change your mind between the two offers.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is there any reason to delay accepting an offer from a firm that you believe you will inevitably choose?

No.

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:One bonus I can think of is that some firms get higher yields than they anticipated on offers, but only want to hire a certain number (increasing the chance of no-offers at the end of the summer.)

Even if this happens, they won't tell you and you won't know.

Return to “Legal Employment”