Strike out OCI--Considering transfer

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Strike out OCI--Considering transfer

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:58 pm

Background: I go to a T14 with good job placement (~70% in private law firm for 2L summer) stats in an area that I have no geographical ties to/don't want to stay in after grad.
I have a (slightly) below median GPA after 1L year.
I did terribly at OCI (barely any callbacks/no offers), but have a guaranteed no-pay job in government in my home state this summer (note: this job offer will be on the table whether or not I transfer).

So my question is, should I withdraw from my t14 and transfer to a cheaper, but lower ranked school?
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IAFG

Re: Strike out OCI--Considering transfer

Postby IAFG » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:00 pm

ABA requirements will probably bar your transfer at this late date.

2013applicant

Postby 2013applicant » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:02 pm

That ship sailed unless you can find a cheap school on quarters.

lonerider

Postby lonerider » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:00 pm

Last edited by lonerider on Sat May 10, 2014 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:15 pm

lonerider wrote:Look into it. I know a guy who went to University of Colorado law school, and did his 3rd year at NYU because his family moved to new york. He paid NYU tuition for the third year, but his diploma was still uni of colorado. It only made sense from a quality of life judgment call for him, to be by his family, as it obviously cost a lot more than his school.

So what you're saying is that OP could be a visiting student while continuing to pay $$$$ tuition.

OTOH moving to a school closer to where you want to practice to do the Vale of Tears scramble is probably credited.

lgleye

Postby lgleye » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:04 pm

Last edited by lgleye on Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:27 pm

You could do a dual degree and have a second chance at 2L OCI. Or you could find a school that'll let you transfer next year, but you'll probably have to do 2 years in residence there (so four years total unless you withdraw now). Or you could drop out.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:22 pm

Dude, please don't transfer to a lower ranked school. What are you gaining from this besides saving around maybe 50k....50k is not alot of money in the grand scheme of things. You struck out at oci. So did alot of people who end up having fulfilling and lucrative legal careers. I think that the best card you hold right now, by far, is your degree granting institution. Thats a big deal. What happens if you dont do well at a lower ranked school. Than, you are totally skrewed. Bust ass in school, improve your gpa, apply like mad, and network. It might be a long road ahead but I think you will be fine. You probably wont if you transfer though.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:44 pm

cinephile wrote:You could do a dual degree and have a second chance at 2L OCI.

Do people really do this for the second chance at 2L OCI/job search? Are people successful doing this?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Do people really do this for the second chance at 2L OCI/job search? Are people successful doing this?

I know someone who went to Georgetown struck out 1L joined a joint JD/LLM rocked 2L year picked up a market firm in reOCI.

Donno if your school has a good LLM program it may just be throwing away another 50K

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I know someone who went to Georgetown struck out 1L joined a joint JD/LLM rocked 2L year picked up a market firm in reOCI.

Donno if your school has a good LLM program it may just be throwing away another 50K

I was somewhat debating this, so it's nice to know. Thanks!

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

I know two people who did this and were successful. But both had mediocre 1L grades and like straight As as a 2L. So, if you're really successful this year, that can help.

Macarthur

Postby Macarthur » Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:56 am

I'm sorry bud, it's too late. Either drop out or hustle hard for a 2L SA/job.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:32 am

Could you take a leave of absence for a year?

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:54 am

lonerider wrote:Look into it. I know a guy who went to University of Colorado law school, and did his 3rd year at NYU because his family moved to new york. He paid NYU tuition for the third year, but his diploma was still uni of colorado. It only made sense from a quality of life judgment call for him, to be by his family, as it obviously cost a lot more than his school.

That's called "visiting student status", and its pretty ST.OP at ABA law schools.

Return to “Legal Employment”