Accepted my offer, now what?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Accepted my offer, now what?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:09 pm

I accepted my offer at a V-10 and had some initial communication with the firm confirming my acceptance but haven't heard anything since. Do they send paperwork or something? I haven't signed anything so it makes me nervous.

sopranorleone

Re: Accepted my offer, now what?

Postby sopranorleone » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:18 pm

Drink

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:21 pm

Keep an eye out for a letter in the mail to sign or an email with an attachment (check your spam).

Liam

Postby Liam » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:34 pm

sopranorleone wrote:Pop the bubbly

Edited for specificity.

marmot8

Postby marmot8 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Keep an eye out for a letter in the mail to sign or an email with an attachment (check your spam).

Also a chance nothing comes for a long time, so try your best not to sweat it. Congrats!

NotMyRealName09

Postby NotMyRealName09 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:52 pm

They'll contact you in the spring. Don't worry, they won't forget.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:52 pm

marmot8 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Keep an eye out for a letter in the mail to sign or an email with an attachment (check your spam).

Also a chance nothing comes for a long time, so try your best not to sweat it. Congrats!

Serious question. I accepted verbally, but never signed the letter that they sent. This was a month ago at least. I should still be good right? Just forgot to mail it.

not OP btw.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:54 pm

What does the letter say? My offer letter very specifically said it needed to be signed and sent back.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:57 pm

It just tells me about my offer. Then leaves a space at the bottom for me to sign. I verbally accepted. No where in there does it say the letter needs to be signed and sent back. Also, another associate called me as soon as he found out I accepted the offer.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:57 pm

Signatures / contracts / paperwork are uncommon for SAs or full time associate positions. At will, bla bla bla.

Onboarding stuff for taxes, benefits, payroll, etc. won't happen for a long time. There's a ton of time lag and every year people get nervous. Just chill :)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:58 pm

thesealocust wrote:Signatures / contracts / paperwork are uncommon for SAs or full time associate positions. At will, bla bla bla.

Onboarding stuff for taxes, benefits, payroll, etc. won't happen for a long time. There's a ton of time lag and every year people get nervous. Just chill :)

edit: just to clarify have you heard of anyone who forgot to sign and then they pulled their offer after acceptance?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
thesealocust wrote:Signatures / contracts / paperwork are uncommon for SAs or full time associate positions. At will, bla bla bla.

edit: just to clarify have you heard of anyone who forgot to sign and then they pulled their offer after acceptance?

If your really that nervous shoot a quick email to recruiting and say you wanted to confirm then you will have it in writing.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Actually, I've never heard of anybody affirmatively signing anything (outside of tax/benefits related forms)

ru2486

Postby ru2486 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:03 pm

This thread is a testament to the neurosis of law students.

Therefore, I'm checking in.

alicrimson

Postby alicrimson » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:05 pm

thesealocust wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Actually, I've never heard of anybody affirmatively signing anything (outside of tax/benefits related forms)

I signed for both my SA position and my associate position. I thought the signing was normal? Each time, the firm has requested me to sign and send the paperwork back.

Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:14 pm

V10s tend not to contact law students at all after offer acceptance. V20s tend to be a little more responsive.

Was this response useless? Not as much as needing to include that you accepted an offer at a V10...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:39 pm

It does for the purposes of answering the question. It may be common practice at a regional firm to sign, etc.

Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:It does for the purposes of answering the question. It may be common practice at a regional firm to sign, etc.

Yeah, I'm sure "biglaw" or "V100" would have sufficed. Frankly, just find it awesome that you're continuing to defend the move.

Anyways, carry on... not that the topic itself is even that useful.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:01 pm

Fresh Prince wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:It does for the purposes of answering the question. It may be common practice at a regional firm to sign, etc.

Yeah, I'm sure "biglaw" or "V100" would have sufficed. Frankly, just find it awesome that you're continuing to defend the move.

Since when is useful one of the requirements for this forum?

Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fresh Prince wrote:

Since when is useful one of the requirements for this forum?

I don't know? I never said or implied that it was...

Return to “Legal Employment”