"If you have plans to be in X city"

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

"If you have plans to be in X city"

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:24 am

I recently spoke to an alum of my school who works at a firm in a city that is very far from my school, but that I have solid ties to. Today I received an e-mail from the recruiting person essentially saying "We're near the end of the process, but let me know if you're in town in the next few weeks, and if we still have space we'll talk."

Should I be booking a ticket like RIGHT NOW? And if so, what do I tell him? Should I make an excuse (I obviously would have mentioned to the alum if I was going to be in town any time soon) or just say essentially "hey I'm really interested, and I don't mind paying to fly out there?"

rad lulz

Re: "If you have plans to be in X city"

Postby rad lulz » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:37 am

If you're desperate, go ahead and book, but my guess is they have some outstanding offers and your shot is minimal.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:57 am

These are pretty frequent. It's a lead, but generally a very risky plane ticket purchase. They phrase it that way because they aren't committed enough to interviewing you to pay for the trip, as is otherwise standard operating procedure.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:12 am

i've had a few of these, and they've always led to swift rejections. (i've otherwise had a fairly good track record at oci.)

thelawyler

Postby thelawyler » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:46 pm

I had two of those last year. One led to an offer.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:15 pm

I agree with the above. Low chance of success but worth it if you aren't sitting on other offers.

You don't have to make up a reason at first. Just let them know you'll be in town for x dates (don't actually book anything until they've actually set up an interview). They might all later though why you're in town so have a reason then.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:18 pm

bk1 wrote:I agree with the above. Low chance of success but worth it if you aren't sitting on other offers.

You don't have to make up a reason at first. Just let them know you'll be in town for x dates (don't actually book anything until they've actually set up an interview). They might all later though why you're in town so have a reason then.

I'm OP:

CSO suggested calling him and just leveling with him to see what he says. Like "Hey I'm really interested in your firm and I would be willing to fly out to talk to you." Is there a good reason to not do that and just make something up instead?

Hutz_and_Goodman

Postby Hutz_and_Goodman » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
bk1 wrote:I agree with the above. Low chance of success but worth it if you aren't sitting on other offers.

I'm OP:

CSO suggested calling him and just leveling with him to see what he says. Like "Hey I'm really interested in your firm and I would be willing to fly out to talk to you." Is there a good reason to not do that and just make something up instead?

OP: I did this and booked through southwest. The advantage is you can cancel and rebook up to 1 hour before the flight.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:32 pm

If you don't have an offer, book it yesterday.

Return to “Legal Employment”