Appropriate to call to express continued interest?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273137
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Appropriate to call to express continued interest?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:10 am

Had a CB ~two weeks ago, wasn't given a timeline. Would it be appropriate to call (as opposed to email) the recruiting coordinator to express continued interest? I feel like it may be more effective.

User avatar
3|ink
Posts: 7331
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:23 pm

Re: Appropriate to call to express continued interest?

Postby 3|ink » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:37 am

No. Avoid appearing desperate at all costs. Plus there's no need to tell them you're still interested. Let's be honest here. You want to call to see what the status is.

thegrayman
Posts: 495
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 5:56 pm

Re: Appropriate to call to express continued interest?

Postby thegrayman » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:46 am

I wouldn't. If anything, your CSO might be willing to call them. At my school, CSO's will call the firms to vouch for you in certain circumstances, looks a lot less desperate.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273137
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Appropriate to call to express continued interest?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:49 am

3|ink wrote:No. Avoid appearing desperate at all costs. Plus there's no need to tell them you're still interested. Let's be honest here. You want to call to see what the status is.


My school's career office suggested I call to tell them I'm still interested because, as they explained, I may be on "hold" and so indicating my continued interest would let them know I'm still available. I don't think this is horrible advice, and my primary goal isn't really to find out status, since there't not much to find out, but like you I did think it might strike them as an act of desperation. Is doing this sort of thing not common practice?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273137
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Appropriate to call to express continued interest?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:51 am

thegrayman wrote:I wouldn't. If anything, your CSO might be willing to call them. At my school, CSO's will call the firms to vouch for you in certain circumstances, looks a lot less desperate.


So basically I would ask CSO to call them for the same purpose? What exactly would I be requesting CSO to vouch for me?

Also thanks guys, appreciate your insight

thegrayman
Posts: 495
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 5:56 pm

Re: Appropriate to call to express continued interest?

Postby thegrayman » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:57 am

Anonymous User wrote:
thegrayman wrote:I wouldn't. If anything, your CSO might be willing to call them. At my school, CSO's will call the firms to vouch for you in certain circumstances, looks a lot less desperate.


So basically I would ask CSO to call them for the same purpose? What exactly would I be requesting CSO to vouch for me?

Also thanks guys, appreciate your insight


Our CSO's had a policy (I went through OCI last year) that if you were on hold at a firm, and they were truly your first choice and you would take their offer immediately, they would work their connections for you. If your OCS doesn't really have a connection with the firm, then this won't help you much. It sounds like you've already talked to OCS and since they gave you the advice to call them yourself, they seem to either not have a connection or not be interested in working it for you.

Not sure 100% what I would do in your situation, but I would definitely lean towards not calling them. As much as it sucks to just let it continue being out of your hands, I would be hesitant to call them.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273137
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Appropriate to call to express continued interest?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:01 am

I sent a email/"letter" of continued interest (12 days post-CB) to the firm (V30/Secondary Market) that was my #1--basically just said still interested, still available but have 2 other offers expiring by X date, you're my number one, and if an offer were to be extended, I would accept. *Also, I knew they had not yet extended any offers to anyone.

2 days later, got the offer. :D Don't know if it'll work for everyone but it did for me... Good luck!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273137
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Appropriate to call to express continued interest?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:14 am

OP here-

Trouble with my situation is that I don't have any other offers on the table. This is what makes the situation more dire for me, but of course also makes me look more desperate if I were to contact them. All I would be able to say is that "I am waiting to hear back from other interviews, but I am still very interested in your firm and truly enjoyed meeting with everyone I interviewed with," or something similar.

I appreciate your guys' feedback. I feel pretty nervous given the situation I'm in right now, especially since I know that both offices have given out some offers. I just want to make sure I am doing everything I can to improve my situation since it's desperate times/desperate measures at the moment.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273137
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Appropriate to call to express continued interest?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:36 am

Trouble with my situation is that I don't have any other offers on the table. This is what makes the situation more dire for me, but of course also makes me look more desperate if I were to contact them. All I would be able to say is that "I am waiting to hear back from other interviews, but I am still very interested in your firm and truly enjoyed meeting with everyone I interviewed with," or something similar.

I appreciate your guys' feedback. I feel pretty nervous given the situation I'm in right now, especially since I know that both offices have given out some offers. I just want to make sure I am doing everything I can to improve my situation since it's desperate times/desperate measures at the moment.

I sent something like this to a firm in my ~top 3 (about two weeks after my CB interview) so I would know what my options were before making a decision (I had a deadline from 2 firms lower on my list that were just under two weeks away so no immediate time pressure, I just wanted to fully assess what my options were).

----------------------------------------
[Salutation. . .Small talk . . . Blah blah blah]

When I came in for my in-office interview a couple of weeks ago, you asked me to keep you informed of deadlines and other opportunities as they may arise. I have received offers from several peer firms in [cities where I interviewed], but I would like to know if there is an opportunity with [firm name - it was a V50 firm] before I make any decisions. I really enjoyed spending some time meeting the attorneys and learning more about the excellent [I was interviewing for corporate] practice at the firm, so if you could please let me know at your earliest convenience as to when I can expect to hear a decision, I would greatly appreciate it.

----------------------------------------

FWIW, sent this on a Thursday (again, I hadn't heard for just over two weeks), got a call the next day. Over the next week, two different associates called to talk about the firm, and one partner emailed. So in this case, it definitely didn't hurt to express my interest.

So you know for comparison's sake. I'm at a Top 50 school in the top 10% of my class; I think I'm a decent interviewee; have good W.E.

User avatar
Danger Zone
Posts: 7301
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:36 am

Re: Appropriate to call to express continued interest?

Postby Danger Zone » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:15 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Trouble with my situation is that I don't have any other offers on the table. This is what makes the situation more dire for me, but of course also makes me look more desperate if I were to contact them. All I would be able to say is that "I am waiting to hear back from other interviews, but I am still very interested in your firm and truly enjoyed meeting with everyone I interviewed with," or something similar.

I appreciate your guys' feedback. I feel pretty nervous given the situation I'm in right now, especially since I know that both offices have given out some offers. I just want to make sure I am doing everything I can to improve my situation since it's desperate times/desperate measures at the moment.

I sent something like this to a firm in my ~top 3 (about two weeks after my CB interview) so I would know what my options were before making a decision (I had a deadline from 2 firms lower on my list that were just under two weeks away so no immediate time pressure, I just wanted to fully assess what my options were).

----------------------------------------
[Salutation. . .Small talk . . . Blah blah blah]

When I came in for my in-office interview a couple of weeks ago, you asked me to keep you informed of deadlines and other opportunities as they may arise. I have received offers from several peer firms in [cities where I interviewed], but I would like to know if there is an opportunity with [firm name - it was a V50 firm] before I make any decisions. I really enjoyed spending some time meeting the attorneys and learning more about the excellent [I was interviewing for corporate] practice at the firm, so if you could please let me know at your earliest convenience as to when I can expect to hear a decision, I would greatly appreciate it.

----------------------------------------

FWIW, sent this on a Thursday (again, I hadn't heard for just over two weeks), got a call the next day. Over the next week, two different associates called to talk about the firm, and one partner emailed. So in this case, it definitely didn't hurt to express my interest.

So you know for comparison's sake. I'm at a Top 50 school in the top 10% of my class; I think I'm a decent interviewee; have good W.E.

This totally doesn't address the OP's question of what to do if you don't have an offer yet, but thanks for the overshare.

User avatar
hephaestus
Posts: 2385
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:21 pm

Re: Appropriate to call to express continued interest?

Postby hephaestus » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:21 am

Danger Zone wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Trouble with my situation is that I don't have any other offers on the table. This is what makes the situation more dire for me, but of course also makes me look more desperate if I were to contact them. All I would be able to say is that "I am waiting to hear back from other interviews, but I am still very interested in your firm and truly enjoyed meeting with everyone I interviewed with," or something similar.

I appreciate your guys' feedback. I feel pretty nervous given the situation I'm in right now, especially since I know that both offices have given out some offers. I just want to make sure I am doing everything I can to improve my situation since it's desperate times/desperate measures at the moment.

I sent something like this to a firm in my ~top 3 (about two weeks after my CB interview) so I would know what my options were before making a decision (I had a deadline from 2 firms lower on my list that were just under two weeks away so no immediate time pressure, I just wanted to fully assess what my options were).

----------------------------------------
[Salutation. . .Small talk . . . Blah blah blah]

When I came in for my in-office interview a couple of weeks ago, you asked me to keep you informed of deadlines and other opportunities as they may arise. I have received offers from several peer firms in [cities where I interviewed], but I would like to know if there is an opportunity with [firm name - it was a V50 firm] before I make any decisions. I really enjoyed spending some time meeting the attorneys and learning more about the excellent [I was interviewing for corporate] practice at the firm, so if you could please let me know at your earliest convenience as to when I can expect to hear a decision, I would greatly appreciate it.

----------------------------------------

FWIW, sent this on a Thursday (again, I hadn't heard for just over two weeks), got a call the next day. Over the next week, two different associates called to talk about the firm, and one partner emailed. So in this case, it definitely didn't hurt to express my interest.

So you know for comparison's sake. I'm at a Top 50 school in the top 10% of my class; I think I'm a decent interviewee; have good W.E.

This totally doesn't address the OP's question of what to do if you don't have an offer yet, but thanks for the overshare.

There is never an inappropriate time for anonymous humble bragging.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.