Background Check

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Background Check

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:19 am

I know threads have been posted on this topic but my question isn't about criminal background, which is largely the focus of other threads. I have extensive employment history in a non-legal industry. I have not lied about dates or names of employers, but I have emphasized, to the point of perhaps over-emphasizing, the small amount of legal work preformed for each employer. I'm worried about how extensive summer associate background checks would be into this. Sometimes the legal work was such a minor aspect of the job that I'd be surprised if an employer remembered me doing it.

thegrayman

Re: Background Check

Postby thegrayman » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:35 am

The firm has already decided that they want to bring you on as an SA, it will take more than minor discrepancies to derail that. It's normal to be nervous about that because you really want to be an SA there and don't want something to mess it up before you start, but really if you were in the ballpark with the names, dates, wages, you're fine. The default presumption is that you're telling the truth, but it is being verified. The purpose of the check is not to find some minor discrepancy so that they can cut you loose.

As long as you actually worked at the place around the times you listed, for around the wages listed, you're fine.

Postby 09042014 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:40 am

I don't think firms even call old jobs and do checks. I think it's more of a criminal background check kind of thing. I think they let the bar do the heavy lifting to make sure you weren't lying about jobs. But the bar doesn't really get into specific resume stuff, just dates and employers.

My firm claimed to run a check on me, but never had a problem with a similar issue I had. I was an independent contractor for a company, not an employee, and if someone calls they won't even confirm I ever worked there. It wasn't an issue for my background checks.

BVest

Postby BVest » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:13 am

Most former employers will confirm title, dates of employment, and -- if presented with an amount -- salary/wage. Some will also answer a yes/no question as to whether you're eligible for rehire or will state how your employment was terminated (involuntarily, mutual, resignation). There's too much liability for defamation in going into details, even when the details are remembered correctly.

ETA: The exception to this would be someone you put as a reference, in which case it's not a background check call. And hopefully you had references who would vouch for you.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:20 am

OP here. Thanks for all the help everyone. To clarify, I never listed any of these employers as references (and no one has asked for a list of references anyway). I'm feeling slightly better about the whole thing now.

Return to “Legal Employment”