How To: Say no to an offer

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

How To: Say no to an offer

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:10 pm

Any advice on how to say no to an offer?

Dear [FIRM],

Thank you for taking the time to interview me in [CITY]. I sincerely enjoyed meeting your attorneys.

As I am sure you understand, the interview process is very difficult and I am only able to accept one offer. I faced a difficult decision in your case. Reluctantly, I am unable to accept your offer for a summer associate position. Please accept my sincere wishes for continued success with other candidates.

Very truly yours,

[ME]

Anonymous User

Re: How To: Say no to an offer

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any advice on how to say no to an offer?

Dear [FIRM],

Thank you for taking the time to interview me in [CITY]. I sincerely enjoyed meeting your attorneys.

As I am sure you understand, the interview process is very difficult and I am only able to accept one offer. I faced a difficult decision in your case. Reluctantly, I am unable to accept your offer for a summer associate position. Please accept my sincere wishes for continued success with other candidates.

Very truly yours,

[ME]

That sounds like many rejection letters I have received...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Any advice on how to say no to an offer?

Dear [FIRM],

Very truly yours,

[ME]

That sounds like many rejection letters I have received...

OP here. In fact, it probably is drawn from many rejection letters you have received.

Jsa725

Postby Jsa725 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:22 pm

Last edited by Jsa725 on Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BaiAilian2013

Postby BaiAilian2013 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:27 pm

Eh, I'd cut it down a little. They're not gonna shed any tears over you, and your letter sorta sounds like you don't know that.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:28 pm

Just call. 30 seconds.

laxbrah420

Postby laxbrah420 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:34 pm

Dear Loser Firm,
Sometimes, as a man, I need to make difficult decisions. A recent decision I had to make that was difficult was deciding to go to Winner Firm rather than your Firm. This letter serves as notice that I am declining your offer of employment.

To make this decision, I made a venn diagram. In this venn diagram, I put the strengths of each firm in two corresponding large circles, and in the interlocked circle, I put the attributes which I felt you were tied on. In the interest of communicating to you my decision-making process so that you can respect my decision, and maybe reconsider your weaknesses, I have enclosed a photocopy of this venn diagram.

Very truly yours,
Lacrosse Brother

laxbrah420

Postby laxbrah420 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:35 pm

thesealocust wrote:Just call. 30 seconds.

Calling and written notice is best. Would you only call a client? You need documentation that your engagement has terminated.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:39 pm

laxbrah420 wrote:

Calling and written notice is best. Would you only call a client? You need documentation that your engagement has terminated.

I frequently only call my clients. Lots of stuff is best not memorialized in writing :lol:

laxbrah420

Postby laxbrah420 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:40 pm

thesealocust wrote:
laxbrah420 wrote:

I frequently only call my clients. Lots of stuff is best not memorialized in writing :lol:

Let this serve as the lawyers forum now:

In what situations would you not want to memorialize the end of your representation?

fxb

Postby fxb » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:41 pm

Pretending for a moment that this was a serious question, let me suggest that you should call both the legal recruiting office of the firm and also the attorney who was the most involved with recruiting you.
Last edited by fxb on Thu May 08, 2014 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 20160810 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:31 am

Don't be a sperglord. Just say "I really appreciate it but I decided to go with another firm."

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:38 am

So is it considered bad form if I just email them without calling?

Postby 20160810 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:45 am

Anonymous User wrote:So is it considered bad form if I just email them without calling?

That's what I did. Ultimately I suspect you care more than they do. Just be polite and you're fine.

iLaw

Postby iLaw » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:01 am

Anonymous User wrote:So is it considered bad form if I just email them without calling?

When you accept an offer the SOP is to email all other suitors. I will say that with a couple firms I had an especially good connection with I phoned.
BTW: they always asked what firm I selected. I would answer their question. I never mentioned that it was because of the money (but it was always because of the $).

Return to “Legal Employment”