Boies Schiller (DC) vs Skadden (DC)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Skadden (DC) vs. Boies Schiller (DC)

Skadden
44%
Boies
56%

Total votes: 34

Anonymous User

Boies Schiller (DC) vs Skadden (DC)

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:56 pm

Hey guys I'd love any thoughts you have on these two firms. I'm interested in litigation but I'm also quite interests in political/election law (something that does not rly exist at Boies). I am also curious as to the overall health of Boies--mostly what will happen after David Boies gets too old or passes away. Thanks so much in advance!!

Anonymous User

Re: Boies Schiller (DC) vs Skadden (DC)

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:10 pm

bump

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hey guys I'd love any thoughts you have on these two firms. I'm interested in litigation but I'm also quite interests in political/election law (something that does not rly exist at Boies). I am also curious as to the overall health of Boies--mostly what will happen after David Boies gets too old or passes away. Thanks so much in advance!!

My dad is a physician for David Boies. I can't disclose too much here but I'd say pick Skadden.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:33 pm

Can all of those that chose Boies please give some context for their decision? It'd be way more helpful. Thanks!

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Hey guys I'd love any thoughts you have on these two firms. I'm interested in litigation but I'm also quite interests in political/election law (something that does not rly exist at Boies). I am also curious as to the overall health of Boies--mostly what will happen after David Boies gets too old or passes away. Thanks so much in advance!!

My dad is a physician for David Boies. I can't disclose too much here but I'd say pick Skadden.

:?:

Liam

Postby Liam » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

I think you just did. And also provided evidence that your dad should probably lose his medical license.

Or are lying. Whichever.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:49 pm

This is actually why I took another firm over Boies. I was just very worried that whenever I read about BSF representing someone, articles always stated "represented by the venerable David Boies" and not "represented by BSF." (especially when I was going through OCI, I think BSF itself gets more press now than it did).

Whether that will end up being a stupid reason to not pick Boies is TBD. Plus, dem bonuses.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:12 pm

I don't really get that line of thought on Boies. As if all these partners will leave if DB retires. Every other top firm had this issue when their name partners left or died and it did not kill the ones that are half as well regarded.
Plus, massive bonuses will give you a down payment's worth more money over the course of a few years.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:02 pm

bump

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I don't really get that line of thought on Boies. As if all these partners will leave if DB retires. Every other top firm had this issue when their name partners left or died and it did not kill the ones that are half as well regarded.
Plus, massive bonuses will give you a down payment's worth more money over the course of a few years.

I don't fully understand this line of thought either. Do people here really believe that once Boies dies the firm will simply tank/lose all of its clients? I can't imagine a firm that has become as established as Boies has in the last few years being that vulnerable to the loss of one man.

AntipodeanPhil

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:13 pm

Liam wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I think you just did. And also provided evidence that your dad should probably lose his medical license.

Or are lying. Whichever.

Or, more likely, joking. Chillax dude.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:49 pm

Fit/interests matter more than anything else at this level.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:48 pm

CB'd at Skadden and talked to 2 of their political law folks - it sounds like it's a hard department to get into with out a strong political background (campaign work, legit Capitol Hill experience, etc.), and once you get into it, several people insinuated that it was really hard for associates to make their billable hours targets so you risk getting pushed out of the firm. The litigation department seemed to have a lot more business and much easier time making their hours.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

CB'd at Skadden and talked to 2 of their political law folks - it sounds like it's a hard department to get into with out a strong political background (campaign work, legit Capitol Hill experience, etc.), and once you get into it, several people insinuated that it was really hard for associates to make their billable hours targets so you risk getting pushed out of the firm. The litigation department seemed to have a lot more business and much easier time making their hours.

Is Skadden DC a profitable office?

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:58 pm

Massively profitable.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:06 pm

Are exit options at Boies comparable to firms like Skadden/Covington/W&C/Gibson?

stoogesreal

Postby stoogesreal » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:14 pm

Does this count as a good exit?
http://www.gillibrand.senate.gov/

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:08 pm

stoogesreal wrote:Does this count as a good exit?

Maybe it's just me, but I don't think United States Senator is the typical exit option of most Boies associates/partners. I think discussing realistic associate exit options would answer his question better...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Maybe it's just me, but I don't think United States Senator is the typical exit option of most Boies associates/partners. I think discussing realistic associate exit options would answer his question better...

I'm sure a lot of firms can claim this.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I'm sure a lot of firms can claim this.

But it is the type of thing that has absolutely nothing go do with the firm. She could have been a doctor, veterinarian, school board member, or whatever and still end up as a sitting US Senator. The question was clearly about the typical exit options associates have when/if they decide to leave Boies and how they fare in comparison to some other firms. An individual's choice to run for office is a choice quite independent of the experience/skillet one receives at a particular law firm.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:20 pm

Have you considered splitting? I think both of these firms have a relatively liberal splitting policy.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:25 pm

She spent her career at DPW, not Boies. Unsurprising that once she had market power she switched to a non-lockstep firm.

Also, general response to this thread: if you are doing well enough to chose between these two firms, why would you chose either of them? Genuine question --- just curious why one of them and not W&C, Covington, WilmerHale, etc.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

She spent her career at DPW, not Boies. Unsurprising that once she had market power she switched to a non-lockstep firm.

Also, general response to this thread: if you are doing well enough to chose between these two firms, why would you chose either of them? Genuine question --- just curious why one of them and not W&C, Covington, WilmerHale, etc.

Didn't get a callback at either Covington or W&C. Didn't apply to Wilmer.

AntipodeanPhil

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Also, general response to this thread: if you are doing well enough to chose between these two firms, why would you chose either of them? Genuine question --- just curious why one of them and not W&C, Covington, WilmerHale, etc.

Classic TLS.

Let's cut to the chase: OP should just choose Wachtell.

/thread.

Elston Gunn

Postby Elston Gunn » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Pick one.

A) Hiring decisions are not uniform.

B) Those firms are more selective than Boies and Skadden DC.

C) Wilmer is selective, but has laid off associates recently. Etc.

Return to “Legal Employment”