Skadden v. Debevoise (NY)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Skadden or Debevoise?

Skadden
32%
Debevoise
68%

Total votes: 19

Anonymous User

Skadden v. Debevoise (NY)

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:21 am

I am deciding between Skadden and Debevoise in NY. I love the people at Debevoise, but I love the breadth of practice areas at Skadden. I am wondering about people's opinions related to exit opportunities, social fit, and any other considerations people think I should consider.

I have to make a decision soon and would appreciate any advice!

Anonymous User

Re: Skadden v. Debevoise (NY)

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:35 am

They're both great firms, but wildly different cultures, so I'd make this decision based on fit. Everyone I've met at Skadden is very bro-y and candid; most folks at Debevoise are a little less outspoken.

I'd take a second visit or third visit to both firms and make the decision based on which feels like a better fit for you.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:42 am

Debevoise, easy choice

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:51 am

I'm assuming that you want to do corporate work, and I think the quality of the work (and yes, the breadth of expertise) at Skadden is generally better. But take it from someone who suffered through 3L OCI largely because of I didn't click with people at my summer firm: how much you like the people who work at your firm is really important, because you're going to be spending the vast majority of your time with them. I think Skadden's NY office and their summer class is big enough that you could find people you like there. I don't think Skadden is "bro-y," but Skadden's culture is relatively intense and in-your-face. Debevoise has a more gentle reputation. Personally, I would go to Skadden.

Return to “Legal Employment”