Finnegan

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273553
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Finnegan

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:15 pm

How is Finnegan holding up after the ITC group left and the trademark group left?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273553
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Finnegan

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:50 am

bump

Anonymous User
Posts: 273553
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Finnegan

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:11 pm

Can't answer your question but what you said suggests, among other possibilities, that the entire ITC and TM groups left. That's not at all the case (there is no "ITC group" at the firm anyway). Just wanted to clear that up.

Finnegan is a large IP powerhouse with a deep bench. They will be fine. The moves in the past year made a lot of noise because the firm prides itself on its partner retention record. The recruiters like to frame it as indicative of the firm's collegial culture, since many partners could lateral for significantly more money but choose to stay. Departures are said to be extremely unusual so it's a big deal when they happen. But I don't think they means the firm is in more trouble than other places where departures are more common. However, they might be reflective of a cultural shift. Who knows.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273553
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Finnegan

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Can't answer your question but what you said suggests, among other possibilities, that the entire ITC and TM groups left. That's not at all the case (there is no "ITC group" at the firm anyway). Just wanted to clear that up.

Finnegan is a large IP powerhouse with a deep bench. They will be fine. The moves in the past year made a lot of noise because the firm prides itself on its partner retention record. The recruiters like to frame it as indicative of the firm's collegial culture, since many partners could lateral for significantly more money but choose to stay. Departures are said to be extremely unusual so it's a big deal when they happen. But I don't think they means the firm is in more trouble than other places where departures are more common. However, they might be reflective of a cultural shift. Who knows.


Interested in a comparison with Cooley and Fish.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273553
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Finnegan

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Can't answer your question but what you said suggests, among other possibilities, that the entire ITC and TM groups left. That's not at all the case (there is no "ITC group" at the firm anyway). Just wanted to clear that up.

Finnegan is a large IP powerhouse with a deep bench. They will be fine. The moves in the past year made a lot of noise because the firm prides itself on its partner retention record. The recruiters like to frame it as indicative of the firm's collegial culture, since many partners could lateral for significantly more money but choose to stay. Departures are said to be extremely unusual so it's a big deal when they happen. But I don't think they means the firm is in more trouble than other places where departures are more common. However, they might be reflective of a cultural shift. Who knows.


Interested in a comparison with Cooley and Fish.


From my understanding, Cooley isn't in the same league. Fish is where the comparisons are relevant

Anonymous User
Posts: 273553
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Finnegan

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:08 pm

The one person I know who summered at both preferred Finnegan. I think he liked the people better but what could be more subjective than that.

It's hard to go wrong with either. Both firms are exactly the same size (350-375), do exactly the same things, recruit from the same talent pool, and have been alternating at the top of IP boutique rankings for years. Finnegan did (does?) cultivate this reputation of collegiality, whatever that may mean, whereas I have never heard the same about Fish. I know from experience that once they select your resume, Finnegan offers largely based on personality and fit.

Fish does seem less healthy nowadays. They had staff layoffs last year, whereas Finnegan made headlines with record bonuses (up to 80K).

I'd pick Finnegan, but again, either choice is great. Go with whatever feels better (second visit?) and/or is bigger in your market, etc...

Anonymous User
Posts: 273553
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Finnegan

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Can't answer your question but what you said suggests, among other possibilities, that the entire ITC and TM groups left. That's not at all the case (there is no "ITC group" at the firm anyway). Just wanted to clear that up.

Finnegan is a large IP powerhouse with a deep bench. They will be fine. The moves in the past year made a lot of noise because the firm prides itself on its partner retention record. The recruiters like to frame it as indicative of the firm's collegial culture, since many partners could lateral for significantly more money but choose to stay. Departures are said to be extremely unusual so it's a big deal when they happen. But I don't think they means the firm is in more trouble than other places where departures are more common. However, they might be reflective of a cultural shift. Who knows.


Interested in a comparison with Cooley and Fish.


From my understanding, Cooley isn't in the same league. Fish is where the comparisons are relevant


Why isn't Cooley in the same league?




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.