NY- Patterson vs Quinn vs Sidley vs Milbank vs Weil vs Ropes

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Which firm?

Patterson Belknap
44%
Quinn Emanuel
11%
Sidley Austin
15%
Milbank
No votes
Weil
22%
Ropes & Gray
7%

Total votes: 27

Anonymous User

NY- Patterson vs Quinn vs Sidley vs Milbank vs Weil vs Ropes

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:45 pm

Please help! I feel VERY lucky for all of my options, and I'm trying to decide between the above (all NYC offices). I know it is more than 5 - I have until next Monday to get it down to 5, but I would prefer at that point to have just picked one. I'm leaning towards litigation but would like the chance to pick up a corporate assignment or two over the summer to make sure that litigation is what I want to be doing. In terms of what type of litigation, I'm very open and just want a place where I will get good training. I understand that they are all very different firms with very different cultures, but I honestly liked almost every lawyer I met at all of the above firms and could see myself fitting in with each of the firms (I can adjust as needed for the various cultures). Have done a couple second looks with more coming up this week, but as of now don't really have a "gut" feeling about what to do.

I will most likely be in NYC the rest of my life (if I did move elsewhere, would go somewhere in the NE - think Boston down through DC), so I guess exit options and geographic mobility would be a plus, although not as much of a concern as I'm pretty certain NYC is it.

Any feedback/votes would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all in advance!

Anonymous User

Re: NY- Patterson vs Quinn vs Sidley vs Milbank vs Weil vs Ropes

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:59 pm

Well two of your choices are obviously litigation only. I think you probably can/should decide between Patterson and Quinn based on that. I get the impression that Sidley and Milbank are fairly similar as well (maybe that's wrong). At the very least, that should help you get it down to four instead of six.

If it were me, and I were serious about litigation, I'd consider Patterson pretty seriously, but that's just one anonymous nerd's opinion.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:18 pm

PaulThePrestigious wrote:Sidley!!!

Not OP, but care to explain why?

koalatriste

Postby koalatriste » Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:38 pm

If you are not 100% set on litigation, then I think patterson and Quinn have to be off the table. It sounds like, however, you are actually 100% set on litigation, but you just can't "come out" to yourself as a litigator.

I voted for patterson belknap based on the limited information provided, because it's what I would do if I was 100% set on litigation. If you are a fit for Quinn, maybe do that.

OP, we need more information. What makes you so set on litigation? Were you a litigation paralegal for 4 years at Cravath before coming to law school? If so, follow that gut instinct.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:41 pm

Mind if I ask when you heard back from Patterson and when you interviewed?

I agree with the poster above that Patterson & Quinn are not great options if you're not 100% committed to lit.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:33 pm

OP here - thank you for all of the replies! And yes, you're right in that I think I am leaning towards litigation but afraid to officially "come out." I think because 1L is so lit heavy, we don't get exposed to much corporate work, and therefore although I love the lit so far, I don't want to wonder what that type of work corporate is like if I don't try it out. Although, I do love what I've seen so far of lit, and I interned for a judge this summer and loved that as well. No other finance/corporate/courthouse background outside of that though, so that's why I'm open/curious.

Obviously, QE is a powerhouse and will give great lit exposure (and if I decide I am a litigator through and through, I would be remiss that I turned them down), but there isn't even the option to try out the corporate side. Patterson actually is about 70% lit, 20% corporate, and 10% T&E, so there is the ability to at least ask for an assignment in one of the other groups, but yes, it is mainly litigation, and they have a great reputation for what they do and you can't beat their quality of life reviews.

I had my CB with Patterson in August and heard within the last week. It took them much longer than almost all the other firms to get back to me, but I think that's also because they have such a small summer class.

Any more thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:45 pm

Patterson all the way. Great work, great people, great quality of life. You can work on corporate matters over the summer if that's what you're into.

Do not be intimidated by the law-school-bubble obsession with Vault rankings and "prestige." What will have far and away the most impact on you, and on your life as an associate, will be the people you work with and whether or not you are being worked to death. Consider why PBWT has such a small summer class - it's because people don't start jumping ship after a couple years, and instead people want to lateral in because they can do the same caliber of work in a superior environment.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:20 pm

2013 graduate here. I turned down PBWT for a V15 firm for a variety of reasons, mainly to get experience with corporate and to go to a firm that I felt had better recognition outside NYC. If neither of those is a concern for you I would really advise you to go with Patterson. I'm actually very happy with where I ended up, but frankly still wish I had had the balls to ignore the Vault shit and go with my gut. That said, it is hard to know how much of the PBWT advantage is smoke and mirrors, particularly in terms of "lifestyle" and "early experience," which are really hard to quantify or to know whether anecdotes you hear to that effect are representative of the typical experience.

I should add that part of why I highly recommend Patterson here is because none of the other firms you list seem especially appealing to me. Sidley, Milbank, and Ropes all strike me as fairly generic, middle of the road NYC biglaw offices. Weil is Weil, for better or worse. And I would not be caught dead working at Quinn. You might feel differently.

Return to “Legal Employment”